There’s no shortage of HDR (High Dynamic Range) on the CES 2016 show floor this week. Samsung combines HDR capability with curved displays, thin bezels (and in one particular model, no bezel) and sizes up to 89 inches in its new KS9500 SUHD TV line.
Samsung also revealed an enormous 170-inch SUDH — the largest in the world — but there’s a catch. It’s actually made up of several screens joined together. It remains an impressive feat, however, because there are no bezels or even the thinnest of lines giving it away.
Samsung’s 2016 SUHD TVs boast 1,000 nits of contrast from an edge LED lighting system, true Ultra HD Premium performance and plenty of smart features from Samsung’s SmartThings platform to give users the TV-watching experience we are seeing become an overwhelming trend at this year’s CES.
The new SUHD TVs will feature Smart TV elements such as:
- New Smart Hub: Designed to provide users with easy access to everything at their fingertips, the Smart Hub combines live TV, over the top (OTT) and games all in one place.
- Smart Control Remote: The new Samsung Smart TV eliminates the need for multiple remote controls. The device will automatically recognize the type of set-top box, gaming console, OTT box or home theater system and allows for control of all external devices with one remote, no setup required.
- Console-free Gaming: The Smart TV provides over 500 streaming and downloadable games without the need for a Playstation, XBOX or other gaming console.
- EXTRA Service: This button delivers information about whatever program is being watched. Users can check out player stats and profiles, TV show and cast info and more.
- Smart View: This mobile app allows sharing between Samsung Galaxy devices, supporting Android and iOS devices, and Window PCs. Popular apps like iHeartRadio, Plex, UFC and Vimeo are all Smart View enabled.
- More access to content: Users can stream UHD movies and TV shows from providers like Amazon, M-GO, and Netflix — even YouTube — and sporting events in HD. Direct access to live programming from providers such as Dish and Time Warner Cable is also easily accessible and simplified.
Samsung’s new SUHD TVs will be available in March 2016.
Chelsea Cafiero is a writer and editor at CE Pro and Commercial Integrator. She also works closely with sister publications Security Sales and Integration and Campus Safety Magazine. Chelsea has previously covered politics, local news, and residential electronics.: