If you bought an Echo Dot during the 2016 holiday season, you’re in good company. The Alexa voice-enabled product was the best-selling item on Amazon.com. The original Echo tower didn’t do too shabby either. Customers purchased and gifted a record-setting number of devices from the Amazon Echo family with sales up over 9x compared to last year’s holiday season and millions of Alexa devices sold worldwide this year. Also topping the best sellers list from Amazon.com were Fire TV Stick and Fire tablet.
“Echo and Echo Dot were the best-selling products across Amazon this year, and we’re thrilled that millions of new customers will be introduced to Alexa as a result. Despite our best efforts and ramped-up production, we still had trouble keeping them in stock. From turning on Christmas lights and playing holiday music to shopping for gifts and asking for help with cookie recipes, Alexa continues to get smarter every day,” says Jeff Wilke, CEO Worldwide Consumer, Amazon.
Top requested movies, music, and recipes from Alexa during the holidays:
- Alexa helped mix hundreds of thousands of cocktails this holiday season with Tom Collins and Manhattans being the most requested drinks from skills like The Bartender, Mixologist and DrinkBoy.
- Chocolate chip and sugar cookies were the favorite recipes from Alexa skills like Food Network and Allrecipes.
- Home Alone and Elf were the most requested holiday movies with Alexa.
- Alexa helped play millions of holiday songs this year, and the top songs were Jingle Bells (1999 – Remaster)by Frank Sinatra, All I Want for Christmas Is You by Mariah Carey and Feliz Navidad by José Feliciano.
- What was Alexa asked to cook? The most popular cooking tips requested on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day were turkey, prime rib and chocolate chip cookies.
- Who played the most holiday music with Alexa? Customers in Seattle, New York and Chicago asked “Alexa, play holiday music” more than any other city in the U.S.
- Who turned on Christmas Lights the most with Alexa? Customers in Seattle, San Diego and New York asked, “Alexa, turn on Christmas lights” more than any other city in the U.S.
- What games were the most requested with Alexa this holiday? Alexa entertained families with popular games like Jeopardy!, Twenty Questions and The Magic Door.
Amazon Digital Media:
- The most streamed Amazon Original Series over the holidays was Goliath.
- The most streamed Amazon Original Movie over the holidays was Love & Friendship.
- The most watched TV series (non-Amazon Original) streaming on Prime Video this holiday was The Night Manager.
- The most watched movie (non-Amazon Original) streaming on Prime Video this holiday was Eye in the Sky.
- Customers listening to holiday music on Amazon Music more than tripled this year, compared to 2015.
- The most streamed holiday song on Amazon Music was It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Yearby Andy Williams.
- Michael Bublé – Christmaswas the most played holiday album on Amazon Music this season.
Holiday Fun Facts:
- Amazon.com customers purchased enough Hamilton: the Revolutioncollectible books and Hamilton albums to give every patron at the Richard Rodgers Theatre in New York City a copy for 96 consecutive shows.
- Amazon.com customers purchased enough 4K TVs to reach the peak of Mount Everest more than 9 times.
- Amazon.com customers purchased enough KitchenAid Mixers this holiday to make nearly 7.5 million cookies at once.
- On Cyber Monday 2016, Handmade at Amazon saw a 200 percent increase in sales versus Cyber Monday 2015.
- If each Amazon.com customer who purchased Pokémon Sun and Moon this holiday spent at least an hour a day playing the game since its release, our customers would have spent the equivalent of more than 24 thousand lunar cycles capturing Pokémon.
- Amazon.com customers purchased enough copies of The Secret Life of Petsthat if each one were a tennis ball, they would fill Central Park over two and a half feet deep.
- Amazon.com delivered enough men’s jeans to fill one Olympic-size swimming pool.
- Amazon.com customers purchased enough electric vehicle home charging kits to make 2,196 emissions-free trips around the globe in a year.
Holiday Best Sellers (Amazon.com only):
- All Categories: Echo Dot, Fire TV Stick, Fire tablet, Amazon Echo
- Smart Home: TP-Link Smart Plug, Philips Hue White A19 Starter Kit, Samsung SmartThings Hub
- Audio & Accessories: Panasonic ErgoFit In-Ear Earbud Headphones, AmazonBasics 6-Outlet Surge Protector Power Strip, Sonos PLAY:1 Compact Wireless Smart Speaker for Streaming Music
- Movies: The Secret Life of Pets, Finding Dory, Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection
- Music (CDs & vinyl): A Pentatonix Christmas, Hamilton(Original Broadway Cast Recording), Blue & Lonesome
- TV: Samsung 32-Inch 1080p Smart LED TV, Avera 32-Inch 720p LED TV, Samsung 40-Inch 1080p Smart LED TV
- Video Games: Pokémon Sun – Nintendo 3DS, Pokémon Moon – Nintendo 3DS, Final Fantasy XV – PlayStation 4
- Wearable Technology: Garmin vivofit Fitness Band, Garmin vívoactive HR GPS Smart Watch, Samsung Gear VR – Virtual Reality Headset
- Wireless: AmazonBasics Apple Certified Lightning to USB Cable (6 Feet), WeMo Light Switch, Samsung Wireless Charging Pad
Answer the following questions to determine if your home is a good candidate.
Home technology is always moving, always improving, always promising to provide ease and convenience to our lives. Can you benefit from new smart home technology?
Answer the following questions to determine if your home is a good candidate.Download checklist