December 29, 2008 by Arlen Schweiger
Access to my home’s cable TV and DVR programs right on my phone? Where do I sign up?
If you’ve got a BlackBerry and a Slingbox, you can sign up tomorrow, December 30, at Sling Media’s website. Tomorrow is when the public beta of the SlingPlayer Mobile for the BlackBerry smartphone arrives for your enjoyment.
You’ll need to have one of the supported BlackBerry devices with 3G wireless and/or Wi-Fi connectivity, plus a few other requirements, to give it a test drive.
The supported BlackBerry devices are:
- BlackBerry Bold from AT&T
- BlackBerry 8820 from AT&T
- BlackBerry Curve 8320 from AT&T and T-Mobile
- BlackBerry Pearl Flip 8220 from T-Mobile
- BlackBerry Pearl 8120 from AT&T
To use the SlingPlayer Mobile, you’ll also need:
- Slingbox, with remote viewing enabled
- The latest version of SlingPlayer Desktop (recommended)
- A PC on your home network with SlingPlayer 2.0 for Windows
- Broadband Internet connection
Don’t fret if you’re a Mac user, either. SlingPlayer 2.0 for Windows lets you make and manage your Mobile Favorites lists, but you can still use SlingPlayer Mobile for BlackBerry with a Mac, just without the favorites application. We’re glad Sling slung us the beta just before the bell, after having heard about this at CES 2008 back in January. We’ll look forward to seeing what’s in store for CES 2009.
Follow Electronic House
Arlen writes about home technology installations and product news and reviews for electronichouse.com
and Electronic House magazine.
Commenting is not available in this weblog entry.