Sports Fan Gets Dream Room with 3 Displays, Surround Sound
FINALIST: Best Fun Room
A 63-inch plasma is the centerpiece, but there are two 32-inch TVs and top-notch audio from RBH Sound in this well-appointed room.
The way Bryant Moore of custom electronics firm Moore Audio Design puts it, getting this sports fan’s ultimate viewing den in order was about as challenging as hitting a Nolan Ryan fastball—for a home run. Based on the result, we’re guessing the installation was a hit with this homeowner.
The project presented several unique challenges, according to Moore:
- The client requested a media room with multiple screens that would be used primarily to watch multiple sporting events, simultaneously, but the space also needed to be a 5.1 digital surround-ready space for evening movie viewing with friends and family.
- They wanted to be able to view the main TV from the adjacent screened-porch.
- The front channel speakers had to be mounted in a sonically-accurate position in relation to the main display to ensure an accurate surround sound experience.
- There was 65 to 80 foot distance from the head-end to the three TVs and we had to deliver flawless HDMI signal transmission to each.
- Find a way to safely mount a 63-inch plasma and the three front channels of the surround system onto a stone-faced fireplace.
“The first design involved using a front projector and motorized screen that would descend from the ceiling, but this would not allow daytime viewing as the room opens out to a screened-porch and pool area,” says Moore, “and the client did not want to use any window treatments.”
So what was the compromise to solve all of the dilemmas?
The final design centers around a Samsung 63-inch plasma TV, flanked on either side by two Samsung 32-inch LCDs. The 63-inch plasma is mounted on an OmniMount UCL-X dual-arm articulated mount with extension arms that Moore Audio Design modified to accept three RBH Sound WM30 main channel speakers. The TV/speaker assembly is mounted to a double 2” X 10” header that spans the width of the stone fireplace.
Each 32-inch LCD is ceiling-mounted. HDMI is sent to each TV through three Gefen Extreme HDMI send/receive units over dual-Cat5 cables and remote power is provided through three Panamax MIW In-Wall power kits that plug into a Panamax M5100PM power conditioner at the head end. There’s even a fourth TV opposite the bar area.
Problems solved. Game on!
Systems Design & Installation
Moore Audio Design
Return to full story:
Samsung FPT6374 63” Plasma HDTV
Samsung LNT3253H 32” LCD HDTV (2)
Denon AVR-3808CI Digital Home Theater Receiver
Samsung BDP-1500 Blu-ray Disc Player
OmniMount UCL-X Dual-Arm Cantilever Wall Mount
OmniMount EAR-C Flat Panel Speaker Mount Assembly
OmniMount EAR-S Flat Panel Speaker Mount Assembly
OmniMount SCM Ceiling Mounts (2)
RBH WM30, 30” Flat Panel Speakers (3)
RBH TS10AP Powered Subwoofer
RBH A815 8” In-Ceiling Speakers (pair)
Panamax MIW-Pro In-Wall Power Kits (3)
Panamax M5100PM Power Conditioner
Gefen EXT-HDMI-CAT5X HDMI Extension Kits (3)
Home Theatre Master MX900 Universal Remote Control
Home Theatre Master MRF350 Addressable RF Base Station
Panamax Max2 Subwoofer Power Conditioner
Tributaries HDMI cables and system interconnects