The Next Generation of Star Trek Home Theaters
The bridge is the focal point of this impressive home theater, which CEDIA named its top theme theater in 2007.
Push that red-alert button, step through the motion-activated air-lock doors and be transported to this spectacular home theater, bar and lounge.
If we were ranking the many “Star Trek” theaters that we’ve seen over the past few months, this Palm Beach County, FL home has what would be considered to be “The Next Generation” of the lot.
This anonymous owner is without a doubt, a sci-fi buff, but being a “Trekkie” is only one aspect of his interests—the one that created a killer home theater.
The owners had originally envisioned a traditional home theater. However, Jay Miller, president of Acoustic Innovations, noticed that their client was a collector of “vintage” video games. An idea was born, and they ultimately opted for something that expressed their sci-fi interests. “It adds a lot to the experience because you are introduced to the ‘theme’ when you enter the bar and ready room area,” says Jeff Hoover, dream maker and president of Audio Advisors. “It sets the mood that something cool, fun and exciting is about to happen next.”
Something exciting did happen. Discussions on how to handle the theater began back in 2002. “We initially considered the original Starship Enterprise, NCC-1701,” says Hoover. “With a more updated look, Enterprise NCC-1701D was selected as it depicted a grander version of the ship.”
Completed in 2006, the three areas took a total of six months. The end result was a theater, bar and ready room, measuring a total of 70-by-22 feet.
After a few belts at the intergalatic bar, there’s the main attraction, the theater. In the back of the theater is a hidden closet. It doesn’t contain aliens or even captains’ costumes from series past; it contains most of the theater’s main equipment. “If you don’t know it’s there, you wouldn’t have an idea that it existed,” says Hoover.
Source gear as well as the A/V distribution stuff is located in an adjacent room. This is also where you will find what Hoover claims is “one of the largest Kaleidescape hard-drive based storage systems that I’ve ever heard of in a residential installation.” How big exactly? Think big bang, baby—at last count, there were eight servers with 3,816 DVDs.
The equipment list is extremely impressive—and it’s got even got award to prove it. In 2007, CEDIA (the Custom Electronic Design and Installation Association) chose this room as its top theme theater. However, they weren’t the only ones that were impressed with the outcome. “The homeowner was, to quote him directly, ‘blown away’,” says Hoover.
The theater experience may be out of this world, but it’s the little slice of sci-fi that gets our pointy ears tingling with delight. “The client has amassed a very large collection of original props, models and drawings from “Star Trek,” TV series and other sci-fi movies,” says Hoover. Highlights include motion-activated air-lock doors with series sound effects. There’s even a “Red Alert” button on the Crestron TPMC-10 controller to turn all of the LEDs bright red and flashing, along with the actual sounds from “Star Trek” blaring. “If you don’t know it’s coming it scares the pants off guests.”
You may argue about our “Next Generation” proclamation, but there’s certainly no denying that this theater is a sci-fi spectacular. Hoover says that the homeowner is already plotting his next project; there are no details, but something tells us it’s going to be out of this world.
- Gefen CAB-HDTV-30MM HDTV DVI Exreme Fiber Optic Cable (30 ft.)
- Sony Q004R1 Qualia 004 SXRD Front Projector
- Sony VPLLZP550 Long Throw Lens for Qualia 004
- Stewart BRIC Masking Screen Control Interface
- Stewart EMSNH135H 135-inch Horizontal Masking Screen w/Micrpoerf
- Crestron C2ENET-2 Dual Port Ethernet Card
- Crestron PRO2 Professional Dual Bus Control System
- Crestron TPMC-10-DS Docking Station/Charger
- Crestron TPMC-10 Isys i/O WiFi Touchpanel
- Crestron CNXRMC Room Solution Box
- DirecTv HR10-250 HD Satellite Receiver w/ TiVo
- GuiFX Game Server Computer Gaming System (Custom)
- JVC SR-VS30U Mini-DV / VHS Combo Player
- Kaleidescape KPLAYER-2500 Kaleidescape Digital Movie Player
- Marantz DV9600 Progressive Scan Universal DVD Player
- Mitsubishi HSU748 VCR, S-VHS
- Pioneer DVL-909 DVD/LD Player
- Algolith Mosquito HDMI 3D MPEG Noise Reducer
- Gefen EXT-HD-441 4 HDMI x1 DVI HD Switcher
- Key Digital KD-MSW8x3 Component & RGBHV Matrix Switcher
- JBL S100IC Synthesis Interconnect Kits (2)
- JBL S800 2-Channel THX Powered Amplifiers (9)
- JBL SDEC2500A THX Digital EQ/Crossover
- JBL SDP-40 THX Digital Surround Processor/System Controller
- JBL Synthesis K2 Synthesis Hercules System
- JBL K2S1000DG 3-way Dual 10-inch Hercules Center
- JBL K2S9800DG 3-way 15-inch Hercules Floorstanding (2)
- JBL S1A Dual 8-inch Dipole Ambient THX Surrounds (4)
- JBL S1S-EX 18-inch THX Subwoofers (4)
Power Conditioning/Surge Protection/Battery Back-up
- Panamax M1500-UPS Battery Back-up/Surge Protectors (2)
- Panamax MAX4400 Rack Mountable Surge Protectors, 20A (9)
- Richard Gray RGPC1200 Power conditioner
- Middle Atlantic ERK-4425 44-Space 25-inch Deep Stand-Alone Rack
- Middle Atlantic RRF-45 45-Space Rack Rails, pair (2)
- Moto-Fab Aluminum Seating Frame for D-Box (Custom)
- Odyssey 340c D-BOX Series 3 Controller
- Odyssey 4600p D-BOX XL-series Actuator Set
- Pacific Digital MF-810SW 8x10 Memory Frames (2)
System Design & Installation
West Palm Beach, FL
Design & Fabrication
Return to full story:
Boca Raton, FL