Control4 Looking for a Few Good Developers
The automation company has a contest to reward the most prolific and popular developers of apps for its 4Store.
Control4 is holding a contest for the most prolific and popular app developers for the newly opened 4Store.
The company will reward $5,000 in cash to the developer with the most apps, and $5,000 in product to the developer with the most popular app (by the number of downloads through Nov. 30).
In addition, Control4 will recognize the 4Store Developer of the Year during CEDIA Expo 2010.
Long anticipated by dealers and developers alike, 4Store went live when Control4 shipped its OS 2.0 earlier this month.
While there are some particularly rich apps such as the Black & Decker lock and TED integration from Eragy, most of the apps currently fall under the category of “mundane” even if they are quite useful and occasionally fun—Flickr, Calculator and Tetrad to name a few.
Unfortunately, Control4 is not exactly rewarding the quality of apps in this particular contest – I assume the most popular apps will be the free ones – but if they were to hand out prizes for merit, here are a few that would get my vote.
I mean, if I had a Control4 system and if these apps actually existed.
My Wish List for 4Store Apps If I Had a Control4 System:
- Integration with Windows Media Center, especially for TV guide/recording functionality
- Grocery list management, ideally with barcode scanner
- Better Netflix app that enables browsing and creating queues on the fly (CORRECTION: Joe Whitaker at The Soho Shop tells me you can get full Netflix functionality with the Control4 app. Cool.)
- Universal search for video, incorporating content on local servers, cable/satellite, nearby RedBox kiosks, and online services such as Netflix and Amazon
- Exercise app in which music from my library is synchronized with the RPM or MPH selected for the bike or treadmill
- And if I had kids at home, definitely a TV and Internet allowance system
Return to full story:
Enter the contest at http://www.control4.com/developer-contest