“Blade Runner” Named Top 2007 DVD
“Blade Runner” took home the DVD Critics prize for best overall DVD release of 2007. Photo: © Warner Home Entertainment.
Harrison Ford's 1982 sci-fi classic gets top nods for its 2007 re-release.
And the winner is… “Blade Runner?”
While it may seem weird that the 1982 sci-fi flick is getting an award now, it actually took home the top prize at this year’s DVD Critic Awards. Warner’s 2007 re-release won best director’s cut and best overall home video for 2007.
“Blade Runner: The Final Cut” got the director’s award, while “Blade Runner: Ultimate Collector’s Edition” took the show prize. The 5-disc set includes various versions of the movie, a 3-hour documentary, art cards and other extras packed into a briefcase replica from the movie.
Home entertainment critics and journalists judged a total of 140 entries in a variety of categories. All 2007 releases were eligible for submission.
Other winners from the show include:
- Best Theatrical DVD: “Transformers,” DreamWorks and Paramount Home Entertainment
- Best TV DVD: “Seinfeld: The Complete Series,” Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
- Best Classic/Catalog DVD: “The Sergio Leone Anthology,” MGM and 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment
- Best DVD Collection/Multidisc Set: Harry Potter: Years 1-5 Gift Set, Warner Home Video
- Best Nonfiction/Documentary DVD: “Planet Earth,” BBC Video and Warner Home Video
- Best Animation DVD: “Ratatouille,” Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment
- Best Kidvid DVD: “Surf’s Up,” Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
- Best Direct-to-Video Movie DVD: “The Invincible Iron Man,” Lionsgate
- Best Non-Theatrical Movie DVD: “Jerome Bixby’s The Man From Earth,” Anchor Bay Entertainment
- Best Extended Cut/Director’s Cut: “Blade Runner: The Final Cut,” Warner Home Video
- Best DVD Bonus Materials: “The Bourne Files,” Universal Studios Home Entertainment
- Best DVD Packaging: “The King of Queens: The Complete Series,” Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
- Best Blu-ray Catalog Title: “Close Encounters of the Third Kind,” Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
- Best Blu-ray Theatrical Title: “Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End,” Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment
- Judges’ Special Citation: “My So-Called Life: The Complete Series,” Shout! Factory
The DVD Critics Awards dinner was part of the TransFORMATions: The 7th Annual Home Entertainment Summit, held June 16-17 at the Hyatt Regency Century Plaza Hotel in Century City, Calif. TransFORMATions was presented by Home Media Magazine in cooperation with DEG: The Digital Entertainment Group and the Entertainment Merchants Association.
Return to full story: