Community/SoapBox

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  02/26  at  09:53 AM

The truth is sound matters… to you.  Unfortunately, that means satellite radio is not for you, either.  Satellite Radio has made no secrets it’s about content, not sound quality.  You’ll need to look for other avenues, and the truth is they’ll be fine without you because their market are the people who want to hear baseball, football, soccer, golf, racing, basketball, conversative talk, progressive talk, african-american talk, Playboy, Howard Stern, Opie and Anthony, female talk, jazz, blues, standards, french music, canadian music, spanish music, mexican music, kids music, classic radio, radio theater, etc etc etc etc

And that, doesn’t sound like radio to me.  Especially not in MY city.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  02/26  at  06:53 PM

I definitly agree with you about the quality of sound.

90% of the time I am tuned to just one channel (Stern) which really doesn’t require much quality…. but for that other 10% of the time, I kringe whenever I tune to a music channel. The term “thin” is a perfect description. very little bass, even worse high-end.

I’ll never give up terestrial radio, for those same reasons you mentioned. Satellite will never match the “local” feel of radio.

If the industry is listening, they’ll improve the quality, but at what cost? I don’t want to sound cheap, but, even at $12.95/month, satellite is too expensive for what it delivers.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  02/26  at  10:07 PM

This is probably one of the many reasons that XM is/was losing market-share. Personally I think the sound quality of Sirius, both in my car and when listen over the Internet, is really good. Plus, Sirius’ content is head and shoulders above what XM offers. If the merger isn’t approved, then I predict that Sirius will easily overtake XM. The way XM runs that company is ridiculous—especially what they spent on acquiring Oprah. That produced *no* increase in subscriptions and cost them a fortune.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  02/27  at  03:39 PM

Consumers need to stand up and shout at them for putting commercials on subscription programming. Even the talking DJs between songs are annoying… I will NEVER pay for that.

C’MON, get serious, Sirius.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  02/27  at  10:18 PM

This is a bit ridiculous. FM transmitters suck, no matter what they’re connected to. XM can’t do anything about the fact that the FM dial is crowded. The FCC restricts the power output of unregistered FM transmitters so the signal just gets overpowered. Not to mention that it has to downgrade the signal to FM-quality, which sucks in the best case scenario. If you care about sound quality at all, don’t use FM transmitters, ever.

It sounds like your wife’s boombox was defective, which does suck, but at least they were able to fix it. Still, even that doesn’t really prove anything about the quality of satellite radio. The sound you get out of any stereo is dependent on the quality of the stereo. Most high-end stereos these days are satellite-ready. You might want to try one of those.

For a self-professed audiophile, I don’t know how you could go the whole review without even mentioning XM’s “HD” channels. With the proper receiver and stereo, you should get 5.1 surround sound. They’re at least trying to cater to audiophiles.

Really though, it’s a balance between variety and quality. There’s only so much bandwidth to go around, so they’d have to get rid of some channels to increase the quality. And the merger won’t help anything for a while yet at least. XM and Sirius use different technology, so there’s no effective way to combine the bandwidth. They’ll probably offer up the same content to everyone, but they’ll have to broadcast it in both formats. Even when they come out with a dual-receiver, most people will still have only the one for a while. In the long term, it could help, but by then they’ll probably move on to an entirely new format.

As for the iPod comment.. that’s just a bit unlikely. Apple doesn’t need satellite radio to sell iPods. Really it would only take sales away from iTunes. They’ve already got the Pioneer Inno and similar units which have MP3 functionality. The sound quality of music recorded from XM is the same as what you hear normally, which should compare favorably to MP3s at the same bitrate.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  02/28  at  02:26 PM

Dear a/c

I’ll concede the point that FM modulators aren’t the best way to experience anything in a car. But this is in fact the way millions of people listen to their CD changers and iPods everyday. So it’s a market reality and one that deserves reporting on.

Modulators aside, XM’s overall sound quality, whether it be through my wife’s table top unit, hard wired into my home rig, over the internet or in an OEM car radio still leaves a lot to be desired.

Yes, I’ve listened to the HD channels. And it’s a bit better. But it’s no where near what a well recorded SACD or DVD-A disc sounds like. Just because it has more channels doesn’t make it audiophile quality. In fact, most audiophiles who buy SACD or DVD-A buy it not for the surround sound. Most buy it for it’s lower noise floor and greater dymanic range. Folding down the surround sound mix in surround music formats to 2-channels is a popular “audiophile” listening scheme.

I never said that the new combined XM/Sirus should combine bandwidths. I’m merely pointing out one obvious soluton when you have a bandwidth problem. Drop some channels and increase the size of the word bit rate in the codec. I’ve talked to my colleagus at iBiquity, the guys who wrote both XM’s and Sirius’s codecs and I’m told that it can be done….

Don’t be so sure about Apple not needing satellite radio as a partner down the line. Stranger things have happened and probably will keep happening. Witness video over iPod and the battery eating promise of iPhone to come…..

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  02/28  at  04:20 PM

I’m not really defending XM’s sound quality. I haven’t tried, but I’d wager it wouldn’t even hold up to a normal CD. If you do want to try though, if you really want to form an opinion on the quality of XM radio and share it with the world, then there are ways to do it. There are fair points to be made, but I don’t think you made them in the article.

XM and Sirius both have deals with car manufacturers to install the equipment in new cars, usually as an option. With the merger and the consolidation of the hardware market, I think that’s likely to expand. There are plenty of after-market car kits and many car stereos now include a front-mounted AUX jack for the iPod generation. FM transmitters are only a last resort for people with older cars who don’t want to spend any money. (BTW, the XM over the Internet is much more compressed than the actual satellite signal and sounds significantly worse.)

On another point, I’m confused about your idea #2. I thought you were implying that XM and Sirius should combine their bandwidth. Anyway, your friends are right, it would be fairly easy to drop a few channels and allocate their bandwidth to increasing the bitrate on others. They do this already with the news, talk and humor channels, which get less bandwidth because voice data is more “compressable”. It’ll always be a trade-off, though. Do you get more customers with 200 channel that sound OK, 100 channels that sound good, or 50 channels that sound really good? I’m sure both XM and Sirius have done significant market research on that trade-off to arrive at where they are.

As for Apple ... I have my own predictions. I think the iPhone will be a great success for them, but not at all the way people expect. Jobs’ prediction of 10 million units in 2008 is absolutely ridiculous. It might sell barely a million, but those million will create a buzz that easily folds over into the sales for the next generation iPod, which will probably have most of the features of the iPhone for less money. I used to the think the iPhone was going to be a Newton-level disaster, but I’ve come around to the conclusion that it’s basically just a marketing tool to sell iPods.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  03/01  at  12:10 AM

You have another thing coming.

XM already upgraded their codec to a newer codec - which sounds superior to the old codec.

Sirius chose not to - they did not want to invest the money - they had Howard Stern - who cared about Audio Quality?

The “new guy in charge” to run the new merged company is Mel Karmazin. Mr. Karmazin is responsible for never ending amount of commercials on the CBS Stations - and once there is only one - he will do what he wants to do - which is start selling commercials on every channel he can.

He doesn’t care about Audio Quality. He believes that if he has the like of Howard Stern - the people that have the emotional connection that you describe to sit on billboards for concert tickets or blow up records in a stadium - he doesn’t need sound quality.

So lots of luck with your quest - however, its clear Satellite Radio isn’t for you.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  03/01  at  01:27 AM

“Just make sure that your sound is better than MP3s or other lossy compressed-sounding codecs.”  Yeah there is a general sonic ignorance among most folks out there.  That’s why satellite ‘radio’ and other warbly, squishy-sounding, badly encoded digital audio gets by in so much of our society.

MP3s can sound really great, though.  Anyone who has heard LAME-encoded music at a relatively high bitrate can vouch for that.  Thing is, MP3’s heyday as state of the art has come and gone.  Much like MPEG-2 video which will not die, it seems to be immortal.  Newer MP4 codecs, or alternative codecs (Ogg Vorbis) do a great job with even less bandwidth.

But like the other posters say, the powers-that-be will not yield 25 stations of crap just so 10 stations can sound decent.  And that’s really a shame.  The Cult of Mediocrity, Quantity over Quality, call it what you will.

Like when small-dish satellite TV really caught on, badly-compressed digital audio has taken us a step backward in AV quality for the first time ever, essentially.  I’ll never forget seeing it for the first time and watching the blocks dance like a screensaver, partciularly in low-light scenes.  I remember thinking “wow, finally after 60 years or so, TV looks worse than it did the year before.”  now that’s progress!

Maybe HD Radio will fill the void where people (and I don’t even think it’s only audiophiles necessarily) want to hear decent-sounding music.  It’s just a real drag to watch the FCC auction off and peel away the analog spectrum to be filled up with badly compressed digital programming.  For now, it’s CD and MP3 in the car and at home, for me.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  03/01  at  09:53 AM

Unfortunately I can’t listen to Satellite Radio, neither XM or Sirius.  The sound quality doesn’t hold a candle compared to standard FM.  I have a pretty decent audio system setup in my car and it’s a night and day difference.  Flat, compressed, lifeless would be one way to describe what both satellite radio companies sound like in my car.  I don’t anything about this new codec for XM but hopefully it is much better, but I have a feeling it still won’t be on par with FM.

Page 1 of 5 comment pages  1 2 3 >  Last »