September 01, 2010 by Steve Crowe
Onkyo will ship three new THX-certified components in September 2010, including its first multichannel preamp-processor that is also 3D-ready, a 150-watt nine-channel amplifier, and a next-generation Blu-ray player.
The flagship PR-SC5508 ($2,199) is a THX-Ultra 2 Plus certified, network-capable, 9.2-channel audio-video controller that is 3D-ready with an HDMI 1.4 interface. The PR-SC5508 also features:
- HQV Reon-VX video processing and 1080p upscaling
- ISF Video Calibration
- DLNA 1.5 and Windows 7 compatible connection to PC audio and Internet radio
- Pandora, Rhapsody, Mediafly, Slacker, Napster, VTuner, and Sirius Internet Radio
Connectivity on the PR-SC5508 includes 8 HDMI inputs, dual USBs, two balanced line-level XLR audio inputs, and nine XLR preamp outputs.
The matching PA-MC5500 ($1,699) nine-channel power amplifier is THX-Ultra2 Plus certified and is 8-ohm rated at 150 Watts per channel, and up to 400 Watts dynamic power into 3 ohms. It features Onkyo’s WRAT (Wide Range Amplifier Technology) design for “low negative feedback, low distortion, extended frequency response, and a power supply with high instantaneous-current capability.”
Other features of the PA-MC5500:
- A three-stage inverted Darlington circuit to remove distortion
- Balanced line-level XLR inputs
- Anti-resonant chassis and gold-plated inputs and outputs
- Multi-zone and bi-amp capability
The Onkyo BD-SP808 ($599) is a THX- and DLNA 1.5-certified Blu-ray player that offers Blockbuster On Demand, Marvel Qdeo video scaler and Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio sound.
The Profile 2.0 BD-SP808 has an Ethernet port for BD-Live features, including picture-in-picture and web-based firmware updates. There’s an SD card slot for playback of downloaded web content, and HDMI Source Direct mode outputs video signals in their native resolution.
Follow Electronic House
Commenting is not available in this weblog entry.