November 06, 2007 by Rachel Cericola
Source gear as well as the A/V distribution stuff is located in an adjacent room. This is also where you will find what Hoover claims is “one of the largest Kaleidescape hard-drive based storage systems that I’ve ever heard of in a residential installation.” How big exactly? Think big bang, baby—at last count, there were eight servers with 3,816 DVDs.
The equipment list is extremely impressive—and it’s got even got award to prove it. In 2007, CEDIA (the Custom Electronic Design and Installation Association) chose this room as its top theme theater. However, they weren’t the only ones that were impressed with the outcome. “The homeowner was, to quote him directly, ‘blown away’,” says Hoover.
The theater experience may be out of this world, but it’s the little slice of sci-fi that gets our pointy ears tingling with delight. “The client has amassed a very large collection of original props, models and drawings from “Star Trek,” TV series and other sci-fi movies,” says Hoover. Highlights include motion-activated air-lock doors with series sound effects. There’s even a “Red Alert” button on the Crestron TPMC-10 controller to turn all of the LEDs bright red and flashing, along with the actual sounds from “Star Trek” blaring. “If you don’t know it’s coming it scares the pants off guests.”
You may argue about our “Next Generation” proclamation, but there’s certainly no denying that this theater is a sci-fi spectacular. Hoover says that the homeowner is already plotting his next project; there are no details, but something tells us it’s going to be out of this world.
Follow Electronic House
Over the past 15 years, Rachel Cericola has covered entertainment, web and technology trends. Check her out at www.rachelcericola.com.
- Gefen CAB-HDTV-30MM HDTV DVI Exreme Fiber Optic Cable (30 ft.)
- Sony Q004R1 Qualia 004 SXRD Front Projector
- Sony VPLLZP550 Long Throw Lens for Qualia 004
- Stewart BRIC Masking Screen Control Interface
- Stewart EMSNH135H 135-inch Horizontal Masking Screen w/Micrpoerf
- Crestron C2ENET-2 Dual Port Ethernet Card
- Crestron PRO2 Professional Dual Bus Control System
- Crestron TPMC-10-DS Docking Station/Charger
- Crestron TPMC-10 Isys i/O WiFi Touchpanel
- Crestron CNXRMC Room Solution Box
- DirecTv HR10-250 HD Satellite Receiver w/ TiVo
- GuiFX Game Server Computer Gaming System (Custom)
- JVC SR-VS30U Mini-DV / VHS Combo Player
- Kaleidescape KPLAYER-2500 Kaleidescape Digital Movie Player
- Marantz DV9600 Progressive Scan Universal DVD Player
- Mitsubishi HSU748 VCR, S-VHS
- Pioneer DVL-909 DVD/LD Player
- Algolith Mosquito HDMI 3D MPEG Noise Reducer
- Gefen EXT-HD-441 4 HDMI x1 DVI HD Switcher
- Key Digital KD-MSW8x3 Component & RGBHV Matrix Switcher
- JBL S100IC Synthesis Interconnect Kits (2)
- JBL S800 2-Channel THX Powered Amplifiers (9)
- JBL SDEC2500A THX Digital EQ/Crossover
- JBL SDP-40 THX Digital Surround Processor/System Controller
- JBL Synthesis K2 Synthesis Hercules System
- JBL K2S1000DG 3-way Dual 10-inch Hercules Center
- JBL K2S9800DG 3-way 15-inch Hercules Floorstanding (2)
- JBL S1A Dual 8-inch Dipole Ambient THX Surrounds (4)
- JBL S1S-EX 18-inch THX Subwoofers (4)
Power Conditioning/Surge Protection/Battery Back-up
- Panamax M1500-UPS Battery Back-up/Surge Protectors (2)
- Panamax MAX4400 Rack Mountable Surge Protectors, 20A (9)
- Richard Gray RGPC1200 Power conditioner
- Middle Atlantic ERK-4425 44-Space 25-inch Deep Stand-Alone Rack
- Middle Atlantic RRF-45 45-Space Rack Rails, pair (2)
- Moto-Fab Aluminum Seating Frame for D-Box (Custom)
- Odyssey 340c D-BOX Series 3 Controller
- Odyssey 4600p D-BOX XL-series Actuator Set
- Pacific Digital MF-810SW 8x10 Memory Frames (2)
System Design & Installation
West Palm Beach, FL
Design & Fabrication
Boca Raton, FL
FREE Charter Platinum Membership
Claim your FREE Charter Platinum Membership to EH Network and receive 6 FREE issues of EH Magazine.*
We understand your email address is private. By granting you access to the EH Network, you agree to receive email communications from us, including our newsletters. You can manage your subscription at any time in the future.
* The new EH Network launches and your free subscription begins December 2014.
Commenting is not available in this weblog entry.