August 05, 2008
| by Gordon Jones
If you’re in the market for a new home theater receiver (going blu perhaps?), you probably noticed Denon’s May announcement of ten new models aimed squarely at you - the growing HD crowd. What’s great about these line upgrades, besides the wow factor, is that they often result in some fantastic fire sales on the previous generation. Case in point - our recent deal on last year’s AVR-988.
Normally, I’d stop there and be happy to get a great receiver at a discounted price, even if it’s no longer the latest and greatest. However, in a somewhat backdoor deal, J&R is already discounting one of the new models, the AVR-1909, taking $150 off the suggested price of $650, plus free shipping/no tax. Don’t believe me? Call them up and see for yourself. In fact, you’ll have to call them up because this is a phone deal only.
As for features, the list is a mile long and covers all but the most advanced functions. Highlights of the AVR-1909 include:
- Seven channel amplifier section
- Video section features extensive video source switching and up-conversion capability
- Faroudja DCDi video processing and up-conversion
- Three HD component video inputs and one HD component video output
- Audyssey MultEQ acoustic correction and optimization system
- Audyssey Dynamic Volume automatic volume-leveling system
- Audyssey Dynamic EQ to ensure rich bass and smooth tonal balance
- Three v1.3a HDMI inputs
You can read (a lot) more about the 1909 here, and even compare it to the AVR-988 deal here. There are pros and cons to each model; you’ll need to decide which is right for your needs/budget. A big thanks to AudioJunkies and AVSForum for this find.
Sale price: $499.99 (no s/h, no tax)
Deal ends: n/a
Buy now: www.J&R.com (call for deal: 1-800-806-1115)