Comments

Blog
Y4K? The 4K TV Revolution is Coming
December 05, 2011 | by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
4K projectors are already here. 4K TVs are soon to follow. Will there be 4K content? Should you care?
Posted by Raptor  on  12/05  at  09:41 PM

Yea , Its to make Bigger TV’s….... and for a better 3d effect

80” +  screens will need a higher resolution

Posted by Extreme Kahuna  on  12/06  at  10:39 AM

It’s actually more like 4 times the size of the 1080p.

Posted by Dave  on  12/06  at  01:35 PM

In our application (our main viewing screens are 47” LED and 42” plasma) I don’t see a need for more resolution.  I’m not even on the 3D bandwagon.

I’d rather that the pipeline spend additional resources bringing more HD content online (I realize that this has little to do with the TV manufacturers) and making HD content more portable.

Posted by Rob  on  12/06  at  03:02 PM

Grant, I hope to hell that you are proven wrong on all these points.  Let me rephrase that: I already know that you are wrong and I hope that CES opens your eyes so that YOU know that you are wrong, too.  Yes, we need 4K.  We need 8K.  We need as many Ks as they will ever give us.  Why? I have yet to watch the video display that replicates real life and I’ve seen every demo at every trade show that you are referring to.  We are a long way from watching video that matches looking out a window - might not see it in our lifetimes.  But if we don’t jump to 4K now, we’ll never jump to 1024K later.

Posted by Joe  on  12/06  at  04:42 PM

Really, with no content on the foreseeable horizon, what is the point?This is just more hype to convince consumers that they need a new TV and hence spend more money. This was the whole point with 3D. No one was clamoring for it yet they tried to push it down our throats. I would much rather see the CE companies dramatically improve the performance of 1080p sets. Lord knows there is still substantial room for improvement in current HD set technology. Yes, we all want more pixels but without the content to use the tech, it isa complete waste of money. Improve what we have now (I would love the see the 10G Kuro I saw at CES a few years ago now. That would be a great TV, not that the 9G’s aren’t!) Until there is 4k content available, who needs the displays!

Posted by LennyTX  on  12/08  at  11:05 AM

They are developing a “Green Laser” that is supposed to be able to do 4K and take the place of Blu Ray and some of the current higher end receivers have 4K up-scaling (ex: Integra 50.3)

Posted by Terp  on  12/13  at  09:33 AM

Do you know if there may be any products in the near or long term that would allow the 4K displays to show 4 1080P pictures, such as four football games at once?

Posted by Grant Clauser  on  12/13  at  10:56 AM

@Terp, Since the products aren’t officially announced yet, I can’t really answer that with a firm yes or no, but I’d be surprised if that feature wasn’t included.

Posted by Zappykins  on  12/17  at  02:06 AM

I have a 1080P 32” TV and my neighbor has a 720P 32” TV and is always commenting on how much sharper mine looks.  So yes, I think you could ceratinly see a difference at 4K 64” Tv.
And since a DVD looks better upscaled to 1080P, wouldn’t you think then a blu-ray might look really nice upscaled and extra anti aliased at 4K?

I think the passive (or glasses free) 4K 3D sounds great!

But also shouldn’t the frame rate increase to 120Hz? (at least in games)

Plus, remember youtube has 4K material. (even if it’s just demo)

Posted by Grant Clauser  on  12/19  at  11:52 AM

@Zappykins, On a 32-inch TV you’d need to be sitting very close (uncomfortably close) to really see the difference between 1080p and 720p on otherwise equivalent TVs. There may be other factors making your TV look better, not just the resolution. I’m more interested in seeing 4K for what it does for 3D.

Posted by MrSatyre  on  12/20  at  01:49 PM

Having been part of KURO from the inside, the way I see 4K/8K resolutions (SuperHDTV and UltraHDTV), has everything to do with screen size AND seating distance. One of the great things about going to the movies in a theater is being able to sit very close and be completely immersed in what you’re watching without being exposed to over-sized pixels thanks to the film format (grain is another story), and a projected image covering most of your field of view in simulation of real life.

With conventional HDTVs (front, rear, side, etc. ;-), even as with older SD displays, the closer you get, the more problems you start to see. 4K displays will allow us to install (wall space permitting, of course), a much larger display without having to increase the seating distance and the room size, all without seeing the pixel structure dimensions increase. The viewing experience should be exponentially more involving and less fatiguing.

Posted by JeffNJ  on  12/28  at  09:03 AM

Grant, would be nice if you would explain that there are currently 2 versions of 4K, half rate and full rate.  Full rate is used in Digital Theaters, while A/V products on the market that have ‘4K scaling’ only do half rate as the current HDMI 1.4a can only pass half rate, unless you use 2 HDMI 1.4a outputs and inputs on the display.  The next version of HDMI will permit full rate pass-through via a single cable.

Posted by Grant Clauser  on  12/29  at  12:17 PM

@Jeff, that’s a great point and an important one. The current 4K consumer products can’t actually pass any 4K content through from input to screen. They take old-fashioned 1080p and upconvert it to the display’s native resolution. Currently that doesn’t really matter because there is no 4K content, but eventually it will matter. It will, as you point out, require yet another HDMI version upgrade which will also require new source components. Once again we’re facing a whole paradigm shift situation. Is it necessary? Will people embrace it? Will the industry players handle it well? All good questions which will get addressed (maybe not actually answered) at CES in January.