Comments

Blog
What’s the Best Home Control System?
March 06, 2014 | by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
10 steps to getting the home automation system you really need and not the one I tell you you need.
Posted by skipper  on  07/30  at  10:18 AM

Bought a Savant system and it has been a nightmare.  When the power goes out our ipads can’t be reconnected without many different problems each time. I upgraded the network and that helped but the primary problem still happens.  Savant has no documentation for the customer including trouble shooting.
Dealer now says to update I have to pay Savant $8oo plus his 500 to update the system. my
next step is the BBB.

Posted by Dave  on  07/30  at  10:44 AM

Skipper, without knowing more about your situation, it sounds like you have fallen victim to a poor installation. Systems like these are designed to be custom to each project, thus there is no end user manual that could possibly cover all situations. We have installed many Savant systems and power outages should not be causing these types of problems. Grant’s point about finding a good company for your custom installation is probably the most important thing to consider - You need a company who will not only provide the right system for your needs, but who is able to execute it well, and service it well. Let’s face it, these are electronics and they are not without glitches.

Posted by Bob lieto  on  07/30  at  11:17 AM

Grant; Although you have covered the “let’s meet and learn of your wants and needs”, I did not see a mention of budget. Budget plays a roll in where a professional integrator will begin. The want may be large and the budget small leaving the integrator few choices.

Posted by Grant Clauser  on  07/30  at  12:02 PM

Bob, you’re right, but then I’d have 11 steps, and 10 is a better number :)

Posted by Byron  on  07/30  at  01:21 PM

The best system is the one that works for the customer and you get little to no complaints. I install mostly HAI and that company has terrible interfaces but the equipment works solid. It doesn’t need to be rebooted and with third party apps I don’t have any complaints. I would love to try Control 4 or Creston but the market doesn’t make sense for me to make that financial commitment. Moreover, Control 4 from the beginning pushed their products to IT companies with no state licensing. I have notice over there years there dealer base in California has shrunk at least according to there website.

Posted by Byron  on  07/30  at  01:32 PM

Skipper -

I remember when Savant first started about 5 - 7 years ago. They marketed heavily on Electronic House. I am not surprised that you had problems with Savants equipment. Call me lucky or a skeptic but the home controls market is the most difficult to penetrate. I like many others, was so excited by the iPad and its possibilities.  Now that it has been out for many years if you use two or three iPad in one system you can see how some work better than others. Especially as it relates to WIFI connectivity and it basic sleep mode when not in use. I say this for most networked device it is not an exact science but more of an experiment with other people and my money. I hope you can get it worked out!

Posted by skipper  on  08/17  at  11:42 AM

I have the savant system and it is a train wreck.  Every time we have a power outage it creates a different set of problems with ipads.  With no written problem solves or operation manuals you are at the mercy of the installer.  I asked that I have an explanation of the install at each location (3 locations in home) but it appears they don’t want you to know so they can continue to have service revenue.  I am sorry I went this direction but am too invested not to figure it out .