Comments

Understanding the Kaleidescape, RealDVD Cases
August 17, 2009 | by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
What have the courts decided about DVD copying? What are the future implications?
Posted by dumbunny  on  08/17  at  03:42 PM

Wouldn`t the correct remedy be just petition congress to alter DMCA to allow personal use DVD copying?.Seems kinda straight forward to me that no Court is going to allow any DVD box that copy`s DVD`s to stay in the marketplace.Am I incorrect or is my solution to simple?

Posted by Julie Jacobson  on  08/17  at  04:07 PM

dumbunny—wouldn’t it be nice if consumers wrote the laws!

Posted by John  on  08/17  at  05:16 PM

Unfortunately the solution to making a backup of your content is to break the law. I still do not understand why the movie industry cannot offer consumers an affordable solution to backing up their media legally. Give it to me in high quality, for a reasonable price and I will follow your guidelines. Make it impossible for me to legally make a backup, or offer a poor quality solution, and you have forced me to go offshore or download a high quality file I can store on my HDD.

Posted by Frenchfry  on  08/17  at  06:46 PM

Copy a DVD without using any ‘illegal’ software in 2 easy steps.

1) Play the first couple seconds of the DVD using Windows Media Player.  This authenticates the disc in the drive.

2) Using explorer, Drag and drop the files on the DVD to any location you choose.

You can now play the movie anytime you like from your PC using a program like VLC Media Player.

This works on most (but not all) movies.  Some have errors on the discs.

Posted by Kenneth Lawson  on  08/18  at  01:32 PM

Here is what I wrote in my recent blog about the Real case and DVD copying in general;

The continuing saga of Real Networks fight to continue to produce software to rip and store dvd movies on computers has been dealt a several blow, What is means for consumers is that another aspect of consumer rights to use media that they though that they had bought is in the process of being eroded. I say” thought they bought”, is slowly become buy to rent. You only think you own in reality you long term lease the media, subject to their restrictions, are many. Granted that is probably a bit of a extreme senrio, today,,, However, in the future it may become more real in many ways. It is legal to make copies of media for personal backup and archival proposes , But its illegal to make and sell software to allow you to make limited legal copies of your material. How much sense dose that make? it would be like owning a gun and it being illegal to buy the bullets for it, or not being able to buy gas for your car,, both are which are perfectly legal to own and use pretty much as you want to… So why dose the record/movie industries feel they have the right to limit how you can use your media for your own personal use. Your not making copies and sellings them on streetcorners. All one wants to do is make a back up copy of material that they have legally bought and paid for in good faith. Tho have the media companys telling you you own the media,, Yes, you can can make a back-up copy, Oh by the way the software to make decent copy-protected back-ups is illegal and any company that makes it will be sued out of business and their lives runined..
Thanks for buying our products,,

You can read the rest of my blog here;

Ken Lawson

Posted by memberj  on  08/18  at  05:31 PM

My question has always been: “When you buy a dvd, Are you buying a plastic disc or the content on the disc? If its a disc, Why are they so much? If its the content, I have to rights to personally view the contents when and where i want!”  So why can i not legally store my dvd collection to a hard drive to view my entire collection from a remote vs hunting and getting discs out scratching them all up?

Posted by Mitri  on  09/03  at  11:30 PM

what i would like to know is other than the difference in disc types what is the difference in ripping a dvd and ripping a cd. both transfer the the media on the plastic disc with foil inside to a sequense of 1’s and 0’s.

you take a copyrighted cd from the case. place it on your hdd and sell it back to the store or place it in a bag in the closet to collect dust and never be seen until you move out. why can’t we do the same with our more expensive dvds? or even the hd-dvd’s that aren’t being made anymore.

like our old vhs players/recorders.

Posted by Julie Jacobson  on  09/04  at  05:44 AM

Mitri, that is an excellent question. If the music guys had to do it again, they most likely would have implemented some kind of protection scheme. Studios saw what was happening with CDs and had the opportunity to create rules/protections for DVDs.