Comments

Toshiba Pulls Plug on HD DVD
February 19, 2008 | by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
After weeks of speculation, Toshiba finally surrenders to Sony and Blu-ray in the high-def format war.
Posted by OVC  on  02/19  at  08:15 AM

LOL @ HD DVD, for the last time.

RIP

Posted by e-musicman  on  02/19  at  08:33 AM

Hey, wait….I thought it wasn’t over yet.  ;)  Toshiba must have wanted to be the ones to break the news.

I have to admit, I was pulling for HD-DVD (actually I was more anti-Sony than anything else) but this is a welcome relief.  This was a war that had gone on way to long and was only killing interest in the Hi-Def world.  Now Blu-ray has to fight the even bigger battle…SD-DVD.

Posted by Jeff Kalman  on  02/19  at  08:41 AM

Dimitri, care to comment?

Hear those Champagne corks popping yet? :P

Posted by Steve Harbor  on  02/19  at  09:33 AM

Yeah, Dimitri has been conspicuous by his absence, hasn’t he?

Anyway, this is cause for celebration, in my opinion. Now that one side has won, I can feel better about starting a collection of HDM.

Posted by wtf  on  02/19  at  09:51 AM

I read somewhere that Toshiba has always maintained that “We’ll support HD DVD for as long as Castro is in command.”

So you HD DVD supports can blame Fidel for this mess…

Posted by HD-DVD is Dead  on  02/19  at  09:51 AM

Ding-Dong the witch is dead!

Posted by Jeff Kalman  on  02/19  at  12:30 PM

BTW, that is a great picture up there with the tagged toe…  EH must have been prepared to have posted it so quickly this morning. :D

Posted by M. Fox  on  02/19  at  12:31 PM

Enjoy it while you can Sony!  I am personally waiting for your next contender to knock you out of the game.  I wonder if hardware prices will ever go down now?
Shame to all you movie companies for killing a perfectly good medium and give more power to a company that does not need it.

Posted by Jeff Kalman  on  02/19  at  12:39 PM

I guess I never considered it with VHS and Betamax when Betamax lost because there was no widespread Internet at the time, but the Internet really helps reveal what a whiney bunch of big babies there are out there buying high definition movies…

Posted by lozenp  on  02/19  at  01:28 PM

Ironic that yesterday in my email I got this from Universal Studios touting HD DVD.

Posted by OVC  on  02/19  at  01:29 PM

People talk like downloads, flash memory or a new optical media will knock Blu-Ray. Not to sound like a fan boy, but, now that BD is established, unless TV technology changes or everyone can afford to have 3Mbps broadband, BD IS the media of choice for HD content distribution. DivX and movie downloads were not enough to bring SD DVD down, so, why will this happen to BD. I know everyone had high hopes for HD DVD, heck, it almost had me when Paramount switched. But I knew from the begining that BD was going to come out on top. As I always said, selling BD able PS3’s was part of Sony’s agenda to make this format victorious.

Posted by Digger Odell  on  02/19  at  01:31 PM

RIP Toshiba.

Odells Funeral Home

We’re the last people to let you down.

Posted by HD-DVD is Dead  on  02/19  at  02:13 PM

You know what, you can blame Toshiba along with Sony and all the movie studios for this.  I had no problem with there being two formats as long as all the movie studios would support both formats.  The consumer market may have supported both formats if the studios didn’t take the bribes from either side to support their format.  Once that happened then one of the two were bound to lose this war.  If the studios had stayed neutral then maybe both formats would have survived and then the consumers could make up their own mind.  Problem is the consumer market would not support two formats with different studios supporting only one format.  Toshiba had as much to do with their own demise as Sony did.  Both camps played the same game so one had to be defeated.

Posted by Flip  on  02/19  at  02:13 PM

Finally,

Oh well…This classic Youtube video kind of said it all. For all of you who have not yet seen “Downfall” ..... Enjoy!!

Posted by Jeff Kalman  on  02/19  at  02:33 PM

God I love that video.  Every time I watch it, it has me ROFLMAO.

“Blades of Glory is still one of our exclusive titles…”

“BLADES OF GLORY?!!

Are you F$$&#xKI;NG kidding me?!!”

ROFL

Posted by Steve Harbor  on  02/20  at  10:10 AM

Sony is selling its Cell processor & RSX graphics chip manufacturing plant to Toshiba for $835 million. Reuters has the story.

If ya can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em, eh Toshiba?

(Both those chips are used in the Sony PS3 Blu-Ray Trojan Horse machine, in case anyone doesn’t get the connection.)