Comments

Sony Announces Interactive Blu-ray Players
Sony BDP-S350 and BDP-S550
February 26, 2008 | by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
These two new models each have an Ethernet port for added features such as BonusView picture-in-picture and BD-Live.
Posted by Scott  on  02/26  at  11:36 AM

Will they boot as fast as the PS3, but offer IR remote control?  If so, these are going to be dynamite units!

Posted by stephen  on  02/26  at  11:40 AM

wow it almost upto the features of a 2 year old hd-dvd player…boy aren’t we consumers lucky we have no choices now…...

Posted by Fatebender  on  02/26  at  11:52 AM

To be clear will the player internally decode Master Audio AND pass it via 7.1 analog?

Interesting to see what kind of bass management it has if any and what kind of upscaler for SD.

Posted by Rachel Cericola  on  02/26  at  11:53 AM

Hey Fatebender: This is from the Sony announcement…

“The BDP-S550 adds dts-HD High Resolution Audio and dts-HD Master Audio decoding as well as 7.1 channel analog audio output.”

Hope that helps..

Posted by Crude Dude  on  02/26  at  01:25 PM

Wow HD DVD features for twice the price.

Posted by Dave C  on  02/26  at  02:32 PM

Yup, twice the price of HD-DVD. You get what you pay for. It was no secret Toshiba was selling with heavy subsidies to get HD-DVD in the market. WIth bad advertising and slack studio support, like I said, you get what you pay for. HD-DVD R.I.P.

These features are SO unimportant anyway. Id rather get a PS3. You want info on an actor, movie reviews, traliors, press the PS3 button and goto the internet and YOU CHOOSE where to look, rather than have the movie maker choose for you.
My 2 cents.

Posted by goodswipeHD  on  02/26  at  04:01 PM

R.I.P. HD DVD…..

Posted by fyetite  on  02/26  at  05:50 PM

Cool.  Now they just need to come down 200 bucks and I’ll consider purchasing one.

Posted by WIPRON  on  02/27  at  10:56 AM

How does SONY come up with this stuff??
Oh yeah, that’s right, they’re still trying to catch up
to HD DVD. Keep plugging away. Now that they are done making them, SONY should be able to!! Maybe they should change the name from blu-ray to something that everyone will know what it is. Like , huh, HD DVD!! That should do the trick!

Posted by Dave C  on  02/27  at  11:30 AM

Um, HD-DVD, sounds great but it turned out to be one of the biggest confusions out there.

The average Joe often thinks their up-converting DVD player is HD-DVD.
“Up converts to 1080P HD”
They think a HD-DVD disc will work on that machine!!
WIth Blu-ray, there can be no confusion. It sounds SO different from DVD etc etc.
Time to move on people and get with the times.
Sony, Panasonic and ALL the rest came up with a fine name! (Sorry, my fav colour is blue too)

Posted by Mike V  on  03/01  at  12:36 PM

“The two new models each feature an Ethernet port”

Welcome to HD-DVD 2006.

Posted by Bill  on  10/29  at  04:46 PM

Sony technical support told me that you can’t decode DD Tru HD and DTS MA unless I have a receiver that can decode those formats and you will only get down converted sound to DD and DTS??

So reading your article state the opposite, which is true?

Also can you run me through the set-up for Audio so I get uncompressed multichannel audio?  I don’t have HDMi on my receiver but have multichannel audio.

Also why did they make so that you can’t start the disc unless the drawer is closed, the S301 was able to do that without closing the tray?