Comments

Cool Homes
The Next Generation of Star Trek Home Theaters
November 06, 2007 | by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
Push that red-alert button, step through the motion-activated air-lock doors and be transported to this spectacular home theater, bar and lounge.
Posted by nurd unit K  on  11/18  at  03:04 PM

Home Theater for the hardcore Trekkie

Posted by bob  on  11/19  at  12:42 AM

Look closely at the pictures. They’re too clean, too smooth - these were made in Photoshop, this doesn’t even exist in reality! What a scam!

Posted by Rachel Cericola  on  11/19  at  12:58 AM

Hi Bob: I can assure you that this place does exist. I am flattered that you think I have such a great imagination!

Posted by PJKIII  on  11/19  at  02:53 PM

Not sure why the article lists it as the bridge for the NCC-1701A, as it’s clearly a NCC-1701D design.

Posted by Rachel Cericola  on  11/19  at  03:08 PM

Hi PJKIII: Someone else did call that to my attention. That was a quote from the installer. I would definitely go with the readers on this one, though!

Posted by Cindy Davis  on  11/20  at  06:34 PM

I know Jeff Hoover personally and he is a person of great integrity. He is a past president of CEDIA and runs a very well established business in Florida called Audio Advisors. Jeff would not risk his reputation to put forth a scam. As noted in the article this installation won a “Best Themed Theater” in the CEDIA Lifestyle Awards. CEDIA would not allow a fictional installation as an entry. The thing that puzzles me about your question is: Why on earth, or any other planet or galaxy would he arrange a scam in Photoshop? Why would anyone? It would be an awful lot of work for what gain? I don’t know if the photographer did any “smoothing out” in Photoshop, but I can assure you that this room exists. I talked to Jeff about it.

We post these themed home theaters for reader enjoyment. Our readers tell us they like them, so when we see one that we feel is interesting we take the time to research and write about it.

You have given me a thought however. I think it would be great fun to see fantasy home theaters that were put together entirely in Photoshop. Honestly—I think it would be cool to see what people would come up with.

With both feet firmly planted in reality,

Cindy Davis
Editor-in-Chief
Electronic House

Posted by Ron  on  11/24  at  11:45 PM

I do 3D graphics professionally and I must say the pictures do look like untextured renders. Contrary to previous comments, it would not take a good 3D artist long at all to model such a room - indeed there are many who do so practising their 3D skills. If this room does indeed exist, it is a shocking and obscene monument to avarice. Something is horribly wrong where riches maty be wasted on this sort of self-aggrandizement while there are homeless and hungry children and ill veterans wandering the streets of our country. Shame on all involved.

Posted by Chuck McKenney  on  11/27  at  03:27 PM

For those who doubted the authenticity of the theater, here’s our new interview with the installer/designer along with pictures proving this theater exists.

Posted by Joe  on  06/04  at  08:29 AM

Home theater looks amazing. I wish to have one.

Posted by Dan  on  04/11  at  10:13 AM

How much this thing cost? I want one!!!!!!!