Comments

Mitsubishi Adds LaserTV into the Mix
January 08, 2008 | by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
The manufacturer adds another new TV technology into your high-def decision process.
Posted by Alex  on  01/08  at  05:15 PM

What is the refresh rate? I certainly don’t want to buy a new tv with anything more that 5 milliseconds.
What are the contrast numbers? 1000000 to 1 like SED tvs or less?  need more

Posted by Chris  on  01/08  at  06:57 PM

I believe I heard it was based on DLP chips and uses lasers as the light source, not sure but that is what I had read somewhere, from unconfirmed sources.

Posted by Rachel Cericola  on  01/08  at  08:20 PM

Unfortunately, there’s no other info! Sorry for the tease… like I said, I am guessing that they will release that info at their annual line show in the spring.

Posted by Laserbeam  on  01/08  at  09:40 PM

Lasers have three clear advantages over comparable rear-projection TVs. 1. Color Quality. They can display a larger color gamut. 2. Durability.The lasers are durable and probably will last the lifetime of the TV. 3. Power-consumption. LaserTVs use about a third the power of similar LCD TVs. The biggest question now is price. Also do consumers want thin? Flat panels are still the rage. And lastly will they think of a LaserTV as another rear-projection TV—technology from years ago?

Posted by Mark  on  01/09  at  05:54 AM

Wider gamut is not needed for current consumer sources.

Posted by skablaw  on  01/09  at  01:05 PM

Next we’ll get sharks with frickin’ lasers on their heads!

Posted by Dennis  on  01/30  at  12:43 AM

I have been following laser TV since 06 when it was first introduced at CES. All of the earlier information stated the pricing would be much less than plasma or LCD. Mitsubishi has not given a price yet, though they said it would be comparable to the current technology. That has me and everyone who has been waiting for laser to ask why so much. They were saying it would be half the cost because it would be much less expensive to manufacture. I can only guess since Mitsubishi is the first and at this time only one to make them they can control the market. Laser will be so good that they will get what they want for them. Once others jump in the price will come down from competition. See this pdf, it has a lot of information and it states a 65” laser would be $2,500. This is info from last May. http://www.ewh.ieee.org/r6/scv/ce/meeti ... __2007.pdf