Comments

Is HD DVD Going Down Sooner Than Expected?
hd dvd
January 10, 2008 | by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
Rumors are rampant that the last two Hollywood studios are jumping the HD DVD ship and onto the Blu-ray bandwagon.
Posted by RUMORS  on  01/10  at  11:10 PM

I haven’t seen or heard anything official other than this:
“Contrary to unsubstantiated rumors from unnamed sources, Universal’s current plan is to continue to support the HD DVD format,” said Ken Graffeo, executive vice president of HD strategic marketing for Universal Studios Home Entertainment and also co-president of the HD DVD Promotional Group.

Posted by Rachel Cericola  on  01/10  at  11:14 PM

This story was from a reliable source… but honestly, I don’t think we will really know what’s going to happen until it happens!

Posted by Peter Smith  on  01/11  at  10:30 AM

“current” being the operative word in that quote.

But yeah, there’s an awful lot of rumor mongering going on around this topic.

What’s going on with HBO? I read in one article that it was going blu-ray with Warner and New Line (is it a subsidiary of one of these?). None of the other articles I’ve read have mentioned them, though.

Posted by Rachel Cericola  on  01/11  at  10:34 AM

I read the same thing, Peter. I have not heard anything official,  so I’m not sure if it’s a rumor as well….

Posted by Peter Smith  on  01/11  at  11:36 AM

I saw it on Variety, actually, so that’s 2 articles, though quite possibly the same source. It’s so hard to tell these days with so much talk of “inside sources” and all that.

Posted by ionosphere  on  01/11  at  04:48 PM

HD should have been dead on arrival, as Blu-Ray is the superior format, with double the storage capacity.  HD buyers deserve to get burned.

Posted by Ox Box  on  01/11  at  05:57 PM

ionoshpere…

Like storage capacity is the only thing that matters…get real.
HDDVD players have been standardized from day-one.  PooRay players have so many different standards, 1.0, 1.1, 2.0 some disks might play in one player, but not in another.  Picture quality is identical between the two formats.

I don’t own either format, but I was about to buy HDDVD.  Now the choice is simply BluRay.  The format war is over, and that’s a good thing.

Posted by Crude Dude  on  01/11  at  09:56 PM

In 2007 sales of SD DVD’s was $16 billion and HDM(both formats) was only $300 million.
BD is not winning the real war and will eventually be replaced by some other format.

Posted by gunbunnysoulja  on  01/11  at  10:05 PM

I have HD DVD (Toshiba XA2) and blu-ray (PS3) players. I prefer HD DVD over blu-ray for 2 reasons.

1. My Toshiba XA2 has the ability to bitstream DD+, TrueHD, and DTS HD MA, where my PS3 can only internally decode and output DD+ and TrueHD as MC LPCM, and has NO ability at this time to support DTS HD MA, internally, or bitstream.

2. The PS3 can be noisy, especially when the fan kicks into HIGH mode. It has plenty of ventilation, so it can be irratating during silent scenes.

The comment about disc space is a non-issue. How many consumer discs actually use the double or triple layers? Its a game of who can fit more data, which is meaningless to MOST consumers. First it was 15 and 30gb for HD DVD, and 25 and 50gb for blu-ray. Then it was 17 and 34gb for HD DVD, and soon released their TRIPLE layer, which gave 51gb. Then sony announces QUAD LAYER @ at whopping 100GB. WHO CARES?

A superior format should have great studio support (which blu-ray has now), great transfers (which HD DVD did more often), and a lossless audio option (TrueHD (more on HD DVD), PCM (more on blu-ray) or DTS HD MA (fox titles on blu-ray).

So over the next few months we should see some firesales of HD DVD, and maybe, just maybe, their will be some hope left for HD DVD. If not, well the choice is simple,.... time to go blu.

Posted by rui silva  on  01/12  at  12:43 AM

HOW IS BLU RAY SUPERIOR. . . . . LOL. . . HD DVD HAS THE BEST VIDEO AS THEY USE VCM WHICH SONY DOESNT WANT TO PAY FOR.  THEY ALSO USE MPEG 4.  VCM ISNT USED IN ALL DISCS BUT IF IT IS IT OFFERS SUPERIOR PICTURE QUALITY.

ALSO HD DVD DOESNT USE ANYTHING LESS THEN DOLBY DIGITAL PLUS WHICH HANDLES DOUBLE THE BANDWITH OF DOLBY DIGITAL.  SOME BLU RAY DISCS STILL USED DOLBY DIGITAL.

THE BEST SOUND QUALITY BLU RAY USES IS LINEAR PCM BUT THAT TAKES 75 PERCENT OF THE DISC SO THE PICTURE QUALITY USUALLY TAKES A HIT. ‘

TOSHIBA IS SUPERIOR AS OF NOW IN ALMOST EVERY WAY.

BLU RAY WILL WIN BUT NOT BECAUSE ITS SUPERIOR.

IF U NEED TO KNOW MORE EMAIL ME.  I CAN PROVE EVRYTHING IM SAYING.

Posted by Steve Harbor  on  01/12  at  02:49 PM

Hey Silva, look down at your keyboard. Over there on the left there should be a key with the letters C-a-p-s L-o-c-k on it. Check it out sometime.

And Ox Box, using terms like “PooRay” makes you sound truly intelligent. A masterful stroke, my friend.

Posted by b4z  on  01/13  at  08:47 AM

My Panasonic BD30 Blu Ray bitstreams True HD etc. Plus it loads quicker than the Sonys.
It also features a SD card reader and displays all of my pics at 1080X1920.
It is a great player and has no glitches.
HD-DVD was never going to make it. Not enough support.

Posted by ionosphere  on  01/13  at  05:01 PM

Time-Warner going Blu-Ray.  R.I.P HD!

Posted by Phinneas  on  01/17  at  04:36 PM

VCM???  It’s VC-1, you ignorant ######.

Posted by Dimitri  on  01/20  at  05:53 PM

I wonder if some of the blu ray posts are from worried Sony salesmen as some are rather hysterical. The studio alliances are just part of the battles in a “war” that’s far from over - especially as cost and convenience is still on HD DVD’s side and for all the blu ray hoohah it WILL come done to money, especially to attract the mass markets around the world and not just the ps3 geeks. That’s when you’ll see the studios seeing and deciding where the money lies. Like my grandaddy used to say “When autumn comes you see who the evergreens are!”

Posted by Steve Harbor  on  01/22  at  02:26 PM

So DigitalBits is saying that the NPD numbers show quite an impact created by the Warner announcement. For Week 1 of January, the hardware sales ratio (not counting PS3 or XBox HD DVD Addons) was 51.17% Blu-Ray to 48.83% HD DVD. But in Week 2, after the Warner announcement, the ratio (they claim) was 92.53% Blu-Ray to 7.47% HD DVD.

Again, these are reported to be NPD Group hardware sales.

Can this be right? It seems, to say the least, a bit extreme… (and granted its only 1 week…could just be some kind of freaky anomaly).

Maybe all of Dimitri’s worried Sony salesmen ran out to buy a blu-ray player or something….

Posted by Dimitri  on  01/27  at  02:25 PM

Lot of statistics and feathers flying from the blu ray camp and lots of ‘supporters’ (salesmen?;-) trying to make the most of them - can’t help thinking somewhat over enthusiastically sometimes!
Warners may have taken Sony’s money - for now - but the truth is at least 95% of the worlds AV market hasn’t even tried the HD format! So I think all that crowing and counting eggs may be a bit premature! I can’t help feel that the eventual “winner” could be well be something new again!
So I wouldn’t get too cocky yet - as my grandaddy used also also say that ‘sometimes, the peacocks of today are the feather dusters of tomorrow’.

Posted by PHX  on  01/30  at  02:32 PM

The one thing that ALOT of people overlook is the PS3 as a blu ray player. There have been many people who bought one for games and then started to buy movies. Yes PS3 sales are not up to expectations but they are selling and i plan to get another as soon as the price drops. As far as storage space goes, it is going to be more importatnt with the video game industry. As for those who do not know, blu ray dominates the rest of the globe.
  But the PS3 is what is giving blu ray an upperhand. If the 360 was HD DVD based, I really think that HD DVD would be winning BIG time right now. Everyone criticized Sony for puting the blu ray player in the PS3 but it is what might put this all to an end.