Comments

Ask a Pro
How Can I Watch Server-Stored Movies on My TV?
July 21, 2009 | by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
A homeowner wants to know what types of products and companies can help him view server-stored media on his TV.
Posted by Paweł Kulesza  on  07/22  at  07:50 AM

I also recommend I-MERGE Servers This is a Kaleidescape and Escient level hardware but - far more intuitive and easy to use - ti’s got a i-phone style interface that can be fully navigated using only 5 buttons. Its very well protected (RAID 5 or RAID 6 matrix) and Xiva software. Can run 6 HullHD streams independently usig additional players and above all - there is no monthly fee or any additional cost to use. Of coures integrates fully with most popular home controle systems.
I use those servers in most of installations that my company do and i have to say that it’s great to have a good piece of equipment to work with. It comes with 3 year full warranty.

If you want some more details - please don’t hesitate to contact me at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).

Best Regards to all DIYers.

Pawel Kulesza
C.E.O.

Venturi - Home Solutions

Poland.

Posted by Doug  on  07/22  at  08:44 AM

It shouldn’t be so expensive or hard but it is.  When will honest people be able to easily rip their DVDs to their computer like they do with their music using iTunes or the like?

Posted by Paweł Kulesza  on  07/22  at  11:30 AM

Well Doug, what can i say - it sucks. But there obviously two ways it is as there two kind of people as well. First - the cheap way, when they rip movies with your PC, then trying to connect it to projector etc. it takes time, it’s complicated for a average user and in most cases crashes way too often - but this kind of people can live with that and they are proud that they cand do it by themselves without spending gigabucks on it. That’s ok - i have deep respect for those people and i admire that due that they cant afford proffesional solution they still willing and struggling to do it by themselfs. Other kind of people are those who want maxiumum simplicity, realibiity and have no time/knowledge/will to non stop reviving of crashed system and lookin for a glitches. And of course they are willing to pay for it.
Being in business fo a while i foud that - sadly - especially in this part of market words “cheap” and “functional” exludes each other. It’s a pity that no one yet come up with both - economical and functional solution.

Best Regards.
Pawel Kulesza
C.E.O.

Venturi - Home Solutions

Poland.

Posted by J Xibalba  on  08/01  at  08:52 AM

Excellent Q&A;- I especially appreciate that the much more affordable option (AppleTV and Mac Mini) were mentioned first although the more expensive professional solutions are extremely high quality as well.

I personally have converted my own DVD library to digital distribution within my home and am very pleased with instant access to my movies and tv shows.

A brief overview of my setup for those interested:

I used Handbrake (with VLC) on my Mac to rip and store my DVD content onto my HP MediaSmart Home Server (4TB storage).  I use multiple AppleTVs and some original xboxes running XBMC to view my content on my home network.  The AppleTV is an excellent (and cheap $230) product that can be modified to run XBMC, Boxee, and NitoTV - as well as other software.  Plus, the AppleTV can run wirelessly, which is quite nice for a quick setup or for portability.  My wife and I also enjoy renting HD content from the iTunes store as well or just watching some trailers before bed.  An iphone app gives me control of the AppleTV which works great from my home gym so I can control the music during workouts.  I will occasionally use Netflix streaming from my Xbox 360 but find that many times on popular content, the quality is not as great.

I have researched the I-merge and Kaleidescape products and they look wonderful from both interface and powerful features, but I am not where I can spend $6-9k on a media server - plus I enjoy making quick purchases of content from iTunes.

Just my thoughts…

JXibalba

Posted by Jay McArdle - Zdi  on  08/09  at  11:32 AM

I have the Apple TV personally and my wife and I absolutely love it.  As a professional in this industry I have recommended it to many of my clients and I have had an great response.  I would caution those who are looking for a cheap solution that this solution is great for what it does out of the box, when you get into the realm of “modifying” a box then you have to live with what it gives you.  It will never work as well as what it was originally designed to do.  For full media distribution, Fusion Research’s products as well as some of the others that are metioned here do a great job at what they are designed to do.  I am a big fan of only having to train the user on how to use their system.  I don’t want to have to make excuses of why something only works a certain way.

Posted by JXibalba  on  08/09  at  02:26 PM

Quick addendum to previous comment regarding that a “modified product will never function as well as originally intended.” While this may be true with certain products, the AppleTV once “modified” retains ALL original functionality with no changes in features, function, or interface. The modifications just add programs you can run in addition to the current functionality and show up on the menu list as new items. (“Modification” just requires plugging in a USB stick with software by the way.) Changing between added programs and the original AppleTV applications are seamless.

I only mention this to help inform those considering expanding the AppleTV’s abilities.

JXibalba