Comments

HD DVD Still Has Steam
HD DVD Movies
September 30, 2008 | by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
A new report says that the defunct high-def format is still doing decent sales.

Posted by Preston  on  09/30  at  02:41 PM

Also with HD-DVD I can record hi definition content to standard DVD disks wtih Movie Factory 6 Plus and record at least 1 hour of hi def content on standard dvd-r in HD-DVD format for playback on my Toshiba HD-DVD player.  The standard dvd disks are cheap (approximiately 20 cents a disk),  The AVS Forum has instructions on how to do so…

Its not dead for me….

Posted by Tom Roper  on  09/30  at  02:52 PM

Regular DVD deserved to die before HD DVD. I still have unopened HD DVD movies and a functional player. I also have the PS3 for Blu-ray.

The studio boycott killed HD DVD, not consumer apathy.

Posted by Tom  on  09/30  at  02:53 PM

I just bought the mission impossible HD-DVD set for $30, Anchorman and Italian Job for $6 each!

HD-DVD is alive in strong in my house. I actually own more HD-DVD than Blu-ray!

I also recently had bought the matric collection on HDDVD for $40 compared to the $90+ for Blu-ray.
:-)

Posted by Wim  on  09/30  at  03:32 PM

I bought an HD-DVD player when they became pretty cheap after the format war (89€ for a player + 6 HD DVDs). I use it to play HD DVDs and upscale regular DVDs. I find no use for Blu-Ray right now as there’s not much more interesting content for it, and the price premium is too high.

Should I ever change my HD DVD I’ll do it for a hybrid dual format player with an even better upscaling chip (from e.g. Silicon Optix).

So yes, HD DVD might be dead, but for me it’s certainly not buried.

Posted by Kevin  on  09/30  at  03:56 PM

I’m still buying HD-DVDs…many for $ 6 - 10. I have two players and a Blu-Ray player. When it comes time to replace the HD-DVD players I’ll get a combo. HD-DVD is still far superior in my opinion…faster load times, higher reliablity and better menus.

Posted by Chris Gerhard  on  09/30  at  04:00 PM

I am still using HD DVD, my players work well and I have found some good deals on used software, primarily at the various forums that discuss these products.  I have also tried to sell some used discs and found the prices are still dropping so buying to resell for a profit hasn’t worked.  I will just keep a collection and a few working players and probably limit further purchases to the handful of discs I am still looking for.

I expect to have a working player and some software for many years.

Posted by Brian Huempfner  on  09/30  at  04:03 PM

It’s a shame that this far along after the format war, BR is still no closer to dominating the physical media market. It is still a work in progress. The consumer still can’t find a complete player, plug it into a complete receiver, using complete connections. Too many profiles in players, too many HDMI types, too many Dolby and DTS formats. Sales reps who do not know the differnces, web ads and reviews that are vague. Then we have the displays. Plasma, DLP, LCD, SED, 720I, 720P, 1080I, 1080P. Hundreds of dollars of difference in the same size set at the same DPI. It’s no wonder the average consumer doesn’t have a clue, and is indifferent. Even if they do buy the right stuff, they probably don’t have it set up correctly. What cracks me up the worst, is the ads showing a big plasma on the wall and no speakers, or source components. Man are those consumers clueless. And worse yet, the new consumers think this is how it is supposed to be and are disappointed when they realize a true movie experience requires more than just a big picture. The consumer electronics industry is a mess.

Posted by Richard deSousa  on  09/30  at  04:29 PM

I have a collection of HD DVDs which I have purchase before and after the format expired. I’ve purchased a LG BH200 player so I’ve also started a small collection of Blu Ray movies. I will continue to purchase HD DVDs at bargain basement prices so long as they’re available at such low prices.

Posted by North  on  09/30  at  04:40 PM

To quote “It’s no wonder the average consumer doesn’t have a clue, and is indifferent.”

People don’t read manuals and think the composite cable is the only cable still.

What makes you think they would have a clue?

Just be glad there’s choices or we would all be mindless drones.

Posted by Gary F  on  09/30  at  04:59 PM

I really wish Warner Bros. would release the Dark Knight on HD-DVD.  There are millions of HD-DVD players and consumer who would buy it.  My gut says that most HD-DVD owners have not gone Blu (or if they have only own a couple of disk). Why pay $25 for Transformers on BR when you can find it on HD-DVD for under $10 (same 1080P picture and nearly the same audio..plus all of extra disc content).  There will always be a market for HD-DVD so someone should step up and fill the void.  Even if there are no new (or few) players released they could still make new release available to Amazon, Borders, and other online retailers.  Look at how well American Gangster and I am Legend sold on HD-DVD.  Yeah I know Toshiba threw in the towel, but if Warner and Universal and Paramount want to make some money on the side…here’s a perfect opportunity.

It’s not fair to those that bought into this format to be made to switch for a format that is really not superior and players that are really inferior to HD-DVD.

I’ll probably go Blu in a year or two when prices drop (especially the PS3) and players are better.

Posted by Chris Gerhard  on  09/30  at  05:07 PM

I don’t believe there are millions of HD DVD playeras and believe the actual figure for households with an HD DVD player worldwide now is about half a million.  Warner, Universal and Paramount aren’t going to release HD DVD’s now, when HD DVD was a current product, sales were pathetic and the only reason HD DVD sells better now is because of the closeout prices.  If anybody is hoping for Dark Knight or any other recent blockbuster to be released on HD DVD, you are not going to be happy.

Posted by Richard deSousa  on  09/30  at  05:13 PM

Gary F: Fair doesn’t count in a business where making money is the object. Unfortunately, the HD DVD consortium lost hundreds of millions of dollars and they’re not willing to spend any more down a rat hole. Would you do any different their place?

Posted by Chris Gerhard  on  09/30  at  05:14 PM

As far as the lack of complete Blu-ray players, that is such nonsense.  The PS3, the most common player sold to date by a huge margin is Profile 2.0, decodes all audio codecs and plays all discs including all features on all discs and is connected by a single HDMI cable.  Standalone players from Sony and Panasonic are either available now or will be soon and do the same.  About 90% of consumers with a Blu-ray player can access every feature on every Blu-ray disc now.  No HD DVD player ever decoded DTS-HD MA and well over 90% of HD DVD players in service couldn’t handle DTS-HD MA period, neither bitstream or decode, so the argument that after the format war, Blu-ray still can’t do what HD DVD could is silly and wrong.

Posted by Pete  on  09/30  at  05:30 PM

The PS3 IS NOT A BLU-RAY PLAYER.  It is a toy, a video game that happens to play Blu-ray discs,  not an audio/video component.

Atari made a BASIC cartridge for their 2600 video game.  That did not make it a replacement for a home computer any more than a PS3 is a replacement for a real Blu-ray player.

Posted by Scott  on  09/30  at  06:16 PM

I own 3 HD DVD players and will not go Blu-ray until the only 2 games I am interested in owning come out on the PS3…Street Fighter 4 and RE5.  I own over 100 HD DVD’s now and haven’t paid more than $7 per disc.  The movies work fine and are in HD, there’s no need for a BR player for now.  I won’t buy a BR disc when I own the PS3 either, unless it’s under $15.

Posted by mikewinburn  on  09/30  at  06:48 PM

I keep purchasing them titles on amazon or any place I can get the discs under $10 (including shipping).
The player works great as an upscaler, and i have an extra player in the closet for the future when my current DUO player breaks down beyond repair.

But my real goal is to replace all the software in future with a media server (when ripping the discs to the hard drive becomes feasible).  Then, they type of player wont matter at all.

Posted by Gary F  on  09/30  at  07:05 PM

A couple of things

1.) HD-DVD lost due to Sony paying off WB (and others). If Toshiba had a movie studio this fight would’ve continued.  Lack of studio support no new titles.  Both BR and HD-DVD sales paled in comparsion to DVD last winter.

2.) Toshiba was set to release a fourth gen HD-DVD player this year that would’ve done DTS-HD MA properly. The HD-A35 can send bitstream output as DTS HD-MA.  But as far as the other so-called profile 2.0 spec go, HD-DVD did most on day one. Besides TrueHD is just as good anyway so it not much of a big deal for most. Also there are quite a few BR players that are stuggling with get TrueHD right (Philips/Funai).

3.) The PS3 is probably the best overall media device on the market. If and when the price falls and if and when I decide to go blu it’ll probably be my player of choice.

4)When you add up the number standalone, laptop and Xbox 360 addons you have well over 1 million players in North America. I really think the studios could make a few bucks this Christmas on HD-DVD.  I think WB wouldn’t have a problem selling 100,000 units of the Dark Knight thru Online retailers and a few specialty electronic shops (i.e. Frys).  I think the bulk of HD-DVD owners who are not blu will be content with the SD version upconverted…however most would jump at a chance to get Batman, Hulk , Indiana Jones or other blockbuster on HD-DVD.  Just look at the numbers American Gangster and I am Legend did this past spring.  There are still a few bucks to be made if the studios are wise enough to realise it.

Posted by Soundzilla  on  09/30  at  09:10 PM

Pete, - Get help. The PS3 is a Blu-ray player, a pretty good one at that so get over it.

So the last remaining HD-DVD junk is being blown out on the cheap. Are we supposed to think that it’s somehow going to make a comeback? It isn’t wise to bait these holdouts with any more hope. Many of these disgruntled HD-DVD fans have already decided they’d rather have DVD or some pipe dream about Blu-ray quality streaming in the home (which isn’t coming anytime soon). You just cant talk sense to these people.

Posted by Matthew Wilkerson  on  09/30  at  09:36 PM

Gary F was right on the money.  My thoughts exactly!

Posted by c-not-k  on  09/30  at  09:48 PM

I bought into Blu-ray for the studio support. (Pixar,among others.) I have a Sony 300 that has played everythingt hrown at it.

I bought into HDDVD because of price. I got a couple of players for $79 each. Just picked up some movies for $6 each.

Toshiba lost a billion and the war. Nobody wants to follow that lead.

New HD DVD titles would sell only to the faithful, and simply confuse and already confused public.

Page 1 of 4 pages  1 2 3 >  Last »