Comments

HD DVD Death Hasn’t Helped Blu-ray
PlayStation 3
May 01, 2008 | by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
Having one format hasn’t exactly set high-def sales numbers on fire.
Posted by Christian Artman  on  05/01  at  02:39 PM

It is ABSURD to expect immediate gratification in anything.  Why on earth would you expect to se a huge difference so soon?  We still have yet to see Universal, Paramount, and Dreamworks release titles on Blu Ray…  The death of HD-DVD helped Blu Ray tremendously, it is silly to suggest otherwise.  expecting immediate results is as absurd as this article…

Posted by Jeffrey  on  05/01  at  02:40 PM

The fact that the market is in a downswing, and people are having to choose between food or fuel just MIGHT be putting the damper on Blu ray sales, or just a damper on EVERYTHING!

Posted by Brian Knauss  on  05/01  at  02:47 PM

It looks as though NPD’s report did not include that Q1 is typically the worst quarter for consumer electronics along with the declining economy.  Its not proper to say the elimination of HD-DVD has not helped BR given all of these outside factors.

Posted by Shane  on  05/01  at  02:52 PM

Lower the price on Blu movies and hardware sales should go up!!!

Posted by Scott  on  05/01  at  02:58 PM

Dunno.  The Day after it was announced I went out and got a $400 PS3 and have since aquired several movies so…....

Scott

Posted by Rachel Cericola  on  05/01  at  03:16 PM

I am torn between Christian and Shane’s response (except the part about me being “absurd”). I do think it’s too early to be complaining about sales. Brian was right about Q1 sales as well… of course things will be slow after the holidays.

That said, if the prices were lower, I think the report could have been the exact opposite.

Posted by Simon  on  05/01  at  03:21 PM

We got ours at christmas—and fairly little since. Now the weather’s getting nice we’ll probably watch less.

Also, BR content is meager. I like the old sci-fi blockbusters and so far no trek, SW, IndianaJones etc, few Pixar titles, just one Bond.

Posted by Ken  on  05/01  at  03:23 PM

HD DVD wasn’t hindering the acceptance of blu-ray. It’s the high buy-in price and lack of full featured players.

Unless you have a dedicated home theater with good equipment, most won’t notice a difference over upconverted dvd. So why spend hundreds more on hardware and 50% more for each movie? Obviously, most people agree according to sales.

I hope blu-ray makes it, because it can be a nice upgrade over dvd in my theater, especially the audio end. But with this economy and their high prices, I just don’t see it. Instead of buying off studios, they really should have tried making a better product with cheaper entry level equipment for those who want to try it and higher prices for higher end equipment that had extra features for enthusiasts.

Posted by Drew  on  05/01  at  03:46 PM

Its irresponsible journalism like this that hinders the adoption of HD media in the first place.

The content of your column clearly only takes into account Hardware sales after the holidays. While your title does not specifiy hardware or software. Your counting on Yellow Journalism to get eyeballs and diggs on your pathetic column.

I have a hard time believeing that anyone expected that HD DVD’s demise would cause everyone to go out and buy $400 players right after the holidays. What it did do was convince current PS3 owners that building a Bluray library was not a waste of money.

I am willing to bet that if you look at software sales in the first quarter and you take into account the quality of titles that you would see a nice upward trend.

I am not worried.

Posted by Mark G.  on  05/01  at  04:02 PM

Now even though I’m far from a supporter of Blu-ray I would have to agree about the drop in sales in the first quarter being compared to the last quarter of ‘07, but right now there are economical concerns which will hinder Blu-ray in the long run more than peoples lack of interest in the format, which for the most part is true at its current price range.  Right now we are entering a recession period, which hasn’t even hit its stride, wait a quarter or two and then we’ll see how bad it’ll get, this is also ignoring the fact that the price of 1 movie costs the same amount as a fill up on even your common 4 cylinder car with a 13gal tank, and the ability to travel is more important than getting your video in HD, without a job you can’t even afford that movie anyway.

Posted by Ryan  on  05/01  at  04:24 PM

The only thing holding me off on buying Blu-Ray movies is the price of the movies themselves. Predator=$40.00 and Commando=$35.00 that’s insane! These are older movies that cost 2 or in some cases almost 3 times as much as their regular DVD counterparts. I have a PS3 but not that many movies to go with it.

Posted by Rik  on  05/01  at  04:49 PM

Living in Japan where DVDs cost $40-$200 and Blu Ray/HD DVD costs the same or less, I added the functionality to my HTPC to playback these formats this past month.

If I lived in the US where DVDs retail for sane prices though, I doubt I would’ve thought twice about it.

It’ll be interesting to see how this plays out as the American economy doesn’t have the room for the kind of thrift spending this media needs to have happen to get going.

Other economies are different though.  I’m stunned that it isn’t doing well here as Blu Ray offers a higher quality, less expensive alternative to DVD in this market.

Posted by Crude Dude  on  05/01  at  05:12 PM

“ABI Research says that the number of stand-alone players probably won’t surpass PS3s until 2013. “

That is if Blu Ray is still around then,by 2013 VOD will probably be where most people get their HD fix.
Price is what is holding back mass acceptance of HDM.Until the price drops on players and media
BD will remain a niche.

Posted by Jude  on  05/01  at  06:02 PM

I think consumers are just not interested.  They already have a large library of DVD’s and the reason to upgrade is just not that compelling.  It doesn’t help that Blu-Ray hardware and movies are very expensive.  Not to mention the incompatibility of older hardware due to the spec not being finalized.  I believe downloads will arrive sooner than Blu-Ray can get established.

Posted by Jay  on  05/01  at  06:31 PM

In an economy where gas prices are almost $4/gallon, it’s hard for a lot of people to justify purchasing a $400 plus player when most of them hardly see any difference between it and a standard player. Videophiles not withstanding, most consumers don’t give a rat’s behind about quality anyway. The reason HD TVs have taken off is not so much that people want them as the fact the they account for just about all the showroom space in stores these days. Ad the fact that we are changing over to digital TV in less than a year and it’s easy to see why TVs are selling.

Posted by Paul  on  05/01  at  06:52 PM

Until prices come down on the players and a whole lot on the discs, don’t expect blu-ray to be a factor in mosr homes.

Posted by soundzilla  on  05/01  at  07:39 PM

Jay hit the nail on the head. The economy stinks right now. Peple are feeling the pinch in a lot of places and are cautious about investing in entertainment. $400 isn’t that bad, but things have to be good in order to invest in $400 of fun, regardless of whether it’s Blu-ray or a new set of speakers.

Posted by Christian Artman  on  05/01  at  08:41 PM

If you care about quality, you will not want VOD only for HD.  Good luck downloading 30-50 GB movies anytime soon: Because that means it is going to be compressed down to 3-4 GB… Good luck trying to Get DD True HD or any kind of decent video bitrate….  The day I’m forced to buy MP3 for music and dowloading movies will be a sad day.  In fact, I’d find a new hobby.  MP3 and downloadable movies suck….

Posted by billy bob  on  05/01  at  08:44 PM

Not only are the players too expensive, but the currently available units all have issues of one kind or another.  The confusion over disc readability, profile versions, lossless audio decoding, 1080p/24 output, firmware updates, etc, etc have made this technology waaay too complicated and makes all but the most hardcore AVphiles nervous and/or disappointed.  Imagine the average person buying $350 player, only to get it home and find out it needs a firmware update to read the Blu-Ray disc they bought with it, and it doesn’t upscale standard def DVDs as well as their $99 DVD player.

Posted by Dave Kay  on  05/01  at  09:51 PM

I don’t understand why the hd dvd format had to be thrown under the bus in the first place. I knew that neither format was going make any real impact in sales , infact it should have been years before we should have found a winning format because sd dvd are the standard. It just makes me wonder why it was soooo important to kill it off so soon. However.  I am not suprised at all that the end of hd dvds didn’t boost sales in blu-ray.

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >