Comments

How To
DTV Transition: Is My TV a Digital TV?
DTV Transition
June 11, 2009 | by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
Not sure if your television is analog or digital? Here’s a guide to help you figure it out.
Posted by Erik  on  04/12  at  12:53 AM

If you have an HD monitor, or HD ready set without a tuner buying a digital to analog tuner box is not a good solution to free over the air signals, you’d want to buy an HD tuner that outputs true HD signal, as these sets have a high band input (DVI, HDMI, component, VGA) already and are perfectly capable of displaying the HD signal. Upgrading the set would be a pure waste of money. If you’re receiving your signal by the way of cable or satellite even if using a monitor it is unlikely to necessary to get a box if you’re not using OTA signals. Feeding analog signals to a set capable of HD is not going to yield the best results. I am using a strict monitor in my bedroom and it perfectly displays HD signals from my outboard HD Digital tuner, HD DVD and Blu-ray players. These boxes are harder to find but well worth it if the set is an HD montior, feeding a 480i signal to a 1080i/720p set is not going to be much better than analog OTA results, spend the money, get the HD version of the box. This article also states sets bearing an HDTV logo all have digital tuners, this is not entirely the case, if you look at some of the older Samsung sets it has HDTV then monitor in very small print underneath it. There again, an actual HD tuner is what you want not a digital to analog one, if you’re even using OTA signals at all.

Posted by Dave  on  04/13  at  06:20 AM

Not very helpful in determining if 30” TV I bought in 2004 is digital or not. The owners manual is long gone and nothing is in any of the on screen menus.
You would think there would be a way to test it!

Posted by Colin Hathaway  on  10/26  at  06:47 PM

I have two televisions bought since 2001. They are hooked up to an outdoor antenna and work quite well.  Both sets are receiving Phoenix PBS 8 which I think is currently broadcasting a digital signal. Does this mean my televions have digital tuners or is PBS broadcasting both digital and analog at the same time?

Posted by Razorback  on  01/31  at  12:23 AM

I have a JVC Model AV-32CF35.  Does it have a digial tuner and will work after Feb 17th

Posted by Javier Irizarry  on  05/24  at  07:11 PM

I have a friend of mine who owns an LG 42 PX10 Plasma Television. I am wondering if someone could let me no whether this unit is digital or not.
Any help on this issue will be kindly appreciated.

Posted by Julie Jacobson  on  06/11  at  10:18 AM
Posted by dk jones  on  06/11  at  12:12 PM

one way to test for a digital tuner in your TV is to try & enter a “point-one channel”. say for example your NBC affiliate broadcasts on channel 12 for the analog signal, try to enter 12.1 or 12.2 to get the digital broadcast, or go through your remote & see if you receive these channels. if you can get the point-one or point-two signals—some stations may have more, you most likely have a digital tuner in your TV. these channels will also most likely include some info about the program(title, time remaining) & whether it is broadcast in 480p or 480i, 720p or 1080i.

Posted by Julie Jacobson  on  06/11  at  01:37 PM

This should help some of you. Offers links to more info from JVC, Toshiba, RCA, Mitsubishi, Sony (sorry, couldn’t find the rest of them…)

Is Your TV Ready for Digital? Enter the Manufacturer and Model No.