Comments

Cool Homes
DIYer Saves $10,000 on Home Theater
August 25, 2011 | by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
Homeowner saves big on this theater by doing everything himself.
Posted by Jay Cary  on  08/26  at  10:25 AM

I find it curious and disturbing that a magazine whose primary “readership” is custom installers should post an article, and place it at the top of the list, that speaks to the advantages of someone doing their own theater install.  Then at the end of the article is a place where someone can click to find an installer.

Posted by Vinnie  on  08/26  at  11:56 AM

He didn’t save $10,000. Buying electronics at flea markets (online or otherwise) is just not spending money. The title of the article should have read “Man builds mismatched system on a budget” or “Buying equipment without a warrany saves money now - but could cost you in the long run”. No disrespect to the homeowner though, he was just chasing his dream, but I’m sure an A/V company could have provided some valuable information about the equipment he wanted to buy for a small fee.

Posted by Phil Kosarek  on  08/26  at  12:06 PM

Are you sure the primary readership for ElectronicHouse is custom installers?  I would think that of the sister publication CEPro but EH is read by many enthusiasts as well as technology afficianados like myself in addition to pros.  I am an avid DIY’er and technology/automation buff and I find it refreshing that this isn’t another 4 image article about a $250,000 custom install that mentions all kinds of problems but doesn’t go into detail about anything.  I’ve also been reading EH since pre 2000 and I can’t be the only one.  Keep them coming EH!

Posted by Ian  on  08/26  at  12:47 PM

Please keep this kind of article coming. While I enjoying reading about $250K systems out of curiousity, I enjoy more reading about this kind of creativity. Here’s a great example of someone who used his talents to save money where it made sense and spent money where it made sense. He now has a genuine home theatre room. Bravo.

In any project there is a triangle; budget, quality and time… changing one impacts the others. If quality remains constant then reducing budget will increase time. If you have the budget then an increase in budget will either increase quality or decrease time (or a bit of both).

It’s a personal decision.. but I hope EH publishes many more “DIY” articles.

Posted by Janine  on  08/26  at  02:23 PM

@Ian and Phil - I agree with you both 100%! It’s nice to see a home theater that is achievable. Yes, its great to show the $250,000+ theaters as you all said, buts it’s also nice to see a project that fits into the budget of an average person! Please keep these type of articles coming!

Posted by Cooper Stofer  on  08/26  at  03:50 PM

Vinnie, you are correct sir.

Posted by Matt Collins  on  08/26  at  07:01 PM

Vinnie,

This is Matt, the owner of this theater.

I wanted to correct you on a couple of things.

All of the A/V equipment in this theater came with a warranty. The only items bought used were the Polk audio speakers which were still under warranty when I got them (I have the original receipt).

As far as “paying” some A/V company for info… why would I do that?  I can read specs.

You are probably one of those guys who get suckered into buying whatever a salesman pitches you and also the extended warranty.

Thanks for looking.

Posted by Grant Clauser  on  08/29  at  07:08 AM

Hi,
Grant here, the editor of Electronichouse.com, and I want to point out that Phil is correct. EH is a consumer publication and web site catering to enthusiasts of all levels (CE Pro is the industry publication for professional installers). Yes, we cover professionally-installed systems in the millions of dollars, but we also like to highlight people who tackled creative projects themselves. In fact, if you go to the Cool Homes tab at the top of the home page you’ll see a whole section of DIY projects. Thanks for all the valuable feedback. We’ll be sure to bring you more of this. And if you have a project of your own you want to share, please get in touch with me.
gc

Posted by Vinnie  on  09/01  at  06:11 PM

@Matt
As I said in my post, no disrespect to the homeowner. Attainable systems should be in Electronic House. I definitely disagree with the title though because what you “saved” is heresay. Also, I don’t get suckered by salesmen - you’ve obviously never been to a real A/V store. Best Buy and Sears have salesmen. Most real A/V Pros genuinely want to see a customer end up with a great finished product. Are people that seek out help from A/V pros really “suckers”, or do they accept the fact that someone may actually know more about the subject that those that just “read specs”?

Posted by Matt Collins  on  09/13  at  07:26 AM

@ Vinnie,

I had one of those “real A/V pro’s” come to my house a few years ago to give me a quote on installing a new plasma on my wall. The quote I got was for over $500!! I agree they want customers to end up with a great finished product. They also want to make their margins. After I got that quote I ordered a bracket and supplies and mounted the TV myself for under $70. And that is not heresay. I have the receipts and documents to back that up. I also have receipts and cost comparisons to back up my theater build.

I do not think people who seek advice from A/V pro’s are suckers. All of the information you need is on the internet. Most of which is posted by pro’s. Just take time to do research and read reviews and specs. I do think some A/V pro’s push things on customers that they may not necessarily need, especially if you have a large budget.

Posted by Vinnie  on  09/13  at  09:56 AM

@Matt
C’mon now Matt, I can’t believe that you didnt shop that quote around a bit. I’m sure you could have found a skilled, but less expensive AV Pro if you looked around. That sounds more like a Geek Squad price. Also I’m kind of surprised you spent that much on a wall mount. I’m sure if you looked a little harder you could have found one at a flea market, or just made one out of wood for free. ;)