Comments

HD-DVD
Did You Catch Toshiba’s HD DVD Super Bowl Ad?
toshiba hda35
February 05, 2008 | by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
Sunday’s Super Bowl XLII was the second most watched program of all time, and included a 30-second Toshiba HD DVD ad—what will the effect be?
Posted by Rachel Cericola  on  02/05  at  10:57 AM

Love Toshiba, but I thought the commercial stunk. They could have done so much more with that time. It was like they spent money on the timeslot, so they didn’t want to put much into the commercial!

Then again, I thought a lot of the commercials were a disappointment. They go downhill a little each year.

Posted by SITEiNK  on  02/05  at  11:59 AM

check out the home page for HD DVD - http://www.theLookandSoundofPerfect.com
this is the ad the should have run.

Posted by Peter Smith  on  02/05  at  12:27 PM

It played in Massachusetts on Comcast. I saw it twice, once during the game and once in the after-game stuff.

I can’t say it was very memorable, though. Didn’t convince me to buy one.

I thought the commercials were a bit on the gross side. I really don’t need to see babies vomiting and stuff. I liked the dog training the horse to be on the Budweiser team the best.

Posted by Joe Shmoe  on  02/05  at  01:09 PM

I agree with Peter. The commercials made me upset. Like the caveman one where he said “wheel suck!” That was not nice cause suck is such a bad word. Also the cavemen were scary and violate the bible. I want more inspirational puppies and flowers.

Posted by Rachel Cericola  on  02/05  at  01:37 PM

Best commercial: Attack of the Doritos rat. I also enjoyed seeing Justin Timberlake get hit in the head with a flat screen.

Posted by Jerry  on  02/05  at  02:14 PM

Yawn, not a whole lot of excitement in that commercial I agree with SITEiNK they would have been better off showing the one on the website.  However neither one makes me want to run out and buy an HD-DVD player sorry Toshiba nothing personal.

Posted by goodswipeHD  on  02/05  at  02:42 PM

Errr, the commercial was ok, well pretty lame actually. It wasn’t even in HD, how ironic. They did pretty much get the point across though, that you can pick up a nice standalone HD DVD player for far less then what you would pay for a Blu-ray player(DRM-ray).

my two cents….

Posted by Jeff Kalman  on  02/05  at  07:54 PM

I missed it.

Not very smart advertising on their parts when you consider that the FoxD Superbowl broadcast was in 720p, not 1080p or even 1080i….

Posted by Obed  on  02/06  at  02:05 PM

Ha ha, they advertised the only 3 exclusives that HD DVD has. Honestly, they’re done.

Posted by Michael  on  02/06  at  02:54 PM

Toshiba did not have a “Superbowl” commercial. The referenced ad was only run locally in a few regions. It was not part of the national “Superbowl” broadcast.

Posted by goodswipeHD  on  02/06  at  04:10 PM

@ Jeff Kalman….

Mostly all the sports channels you watch are broadcast natively at 720p, what’s your point? Like I said before, the whole idea was to get the message out that HD DVD is cheaper then DRM-ray, so go out and buy one.

@ Obed

LOL, are you kidding me? They have more exclusives then that.

Exclusive titles to come:

American Gangster
Elizabeth: The Golden Age
Beowulf
Bee Movie
The Jack Ryan Collection
Star Trek: The Original Series - Season Two
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
American Pie (1,2, and 3)
Atonement
Scarface (1983)
Forrest Gump
The Blues Brothers
Coach Carter

Those are just a few off the top of my head, sure DRM-ray has more exclusives and that’s only because of the studio support.

Posted by Jeff Kalman  on  02/10  at  12:47 PM

“Mostly all the sports channels you watch are broadcast natively at 720p, what’s your point?”

My point was exactly what I said:

“If their goal was to convince people the technology is worth buying they certainly screwed up royally, since most people will end up walking away from the commercial thinking HD-DVD doesn’t look any better than upscaled DVD.”

In other words, relating their 1080p technology to a 720p broadcast was sort of stupid advertising on their parts.  I certainly wouldn’t be very impressed if I didn’t know much about HD and walked away from the commercial believing that HD-DVD looks like the FoxD 720p broadcast instead of like some of the 1080i HD channels out there.

I would fire the advertising agency, they are incompetent IMO, and HD-DVD doesn’t have a lot of chances or time left to get the “right” message across before they fade into oblivion…

Posted by Jeff Kalman  on  02/10  at  12:50 PM

Of course, all of us know that even the 1080i channels out there look like crap often compared to HD-DVD and Blu-Ray at 1080p, due to the compression needed to transmit the digital signal over limited bandwidths…

Posted by goodswipeHD  on  02/11  at  02:33 PM

Ok, true, yea it is sad to see that this format is failing. And you are right, mainly due to sh*tty marketing. If they would have started out the gates with better marketing, they would be in much better shape today.

Posted by Obed  on  02/19  at  08:26 AM

Wow goodswipeHD:

Guess we’ll see those movies now in BD since HD DVD died.