Comments

Deal: 400 HD DVD Movies - $11.06 and Up
February 14, 2008 | by Gordon Jones
Not the first, nor certainly the last, but unlike previous HD DVD movie blowouts, DeepDiscount.com has movies you might actually like.
Posted by OhMyGod  on  02/14  at  04:00 PM

Why not just buy these movies on VHS.  Both formats are dead technology.

Posted by Gordon Jones  on  02/14  at  04:14 PM
Posted by Jeff Kalman  on  02/14  at  04:55 PM

Ouch…  I guess they really are trying to sell as much as they can before even the hardcore HD-DVD users realize it is really all over for HD-DVD.

Posted by Gordon Jones  on  02/14  at  07:07 PM

just noticed Amazon is at it again - 50% their HD DVD movies. 150 to choose from. Like the DeepDiscount.com sale, a few are dogs, but a lot are quality flicks.

the format might be dead, but at these prices, why not buy the movies you like. if you have the player you may as well get your money out of it.

Posted by Jeff Kalman  on  02/14  at  07:11 PM

“the format might be dead, but at these prices, why not buy the movies you like. if you have the player you may as well get your money out of it”

This is true.  Perhaps I will buy the Matrix Trilogy to play on my Xbox 360 add-on for awhile.

Maybe not though…  I don’t want to have to buy it twice.  Once on HD-DVD then on Blu-Ray…

Posted by Jeff Kalman  on  02/14  at  07:33 PM

Nope, no discounts on those….

Oh well, guess I’ll wait for them on Blu-Ray.  There are some great titles on HD-DVD that I’ll definitely buy when they finally make it to Blu-Ray!

Posted by Gordon Jones  on  02/14  at  09:43 PM

the way i see it, and this may be somewhat simplistic, if you already paid good money for an hd dvd player, and you can buy movies for it cheap, go for it. unless Blu-ray adds some crazy features for their version of that title, i wouldn’t expect to buy them again.

i can see why it would be inconvenient to have both players hooked up, but again, for the money, part of me says buy what you will watch now and enjoy it. besides, super hi-def will be here soon and make all this look silly ;)

Posted by Aaron  on  02/15  at  12:27 PM

I agree, if you already have a HD-DVD player and can’t return it, you might as well take advantage of the cheap movies before they go out of production.

Posted by Jerry  on  02/19  at  11:36 AM

The problem many of you may have if you decide to purchase the HD-DVD’s even if you already own an HD-DVD player is that in 5 to 10 years from now you may not be able to find any more players and if the current one you have breaks the replacement parts may not be easy to find even worse can be even more expensive “A” to fix and “B” may not even be around since no one will be making HD-DVD players anymore.  So if you have money to burn then go ahead and get the cheap movies otherwise hold off until it comes to blu-ray.  From the moment Warner said they were going to Blu only that should have been an indication to jump off and avoid the HD-DVD bandwagon altogether.

Posted by fyetite  on  02/26  at  05:57 PM

“From the moment Warner said they were going to Blu only that should have been an indication to jump off and avoid the HD-DVD bandwagon altogether. “

Actually, that’s what convinced me to jump on the HDDVD bandwagon.

I now have 20 HD movies and a Toshiba A3 HD player all for under 200 bucks.  I will continue to enjoy HD movies in my theater for years to come.  Sure, some of the movies will be SD, but the A3 is a great upscaler.  By the time my machine breaks (if it does) I will switch to Bluray, and it will be much cheaper.

It’s really a win-win for me.  I have no regrets.

Posted by Jeff Kalman  on  02/26  at  06:13 PM

fyetite,

Har har har…  Sure, sure, sure….  :P

Posted by BobbyCanuck  on  02/27  at  02:30 PM

Last weekend I picked up the A30? Because they were on blow out sales over here, I bought it for its upscaling and in anticipation of being able to buy movies at rock bottom prices.

If I am correct, the flip side of an HD DVD has SDVD
on it so you will still wind up with the movie that is playable on all DVD players

Whats there to lose?

Posted by Jeff Kalman  on  02/27  at  02:32 PM

“What’s there to lose?”

Your dignity?

Posted by Jeff Kalman  on  02/27  at  02:33 PM

Just kidding of course (on both of those previous posts)...