Comments

Are The Yellow Pages Part of Your Electronic Home?
April 07, 2009 | by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
Having three giant phones books recently dropped outside my door has me wondering if anyone still uses the Yellow Pages.
Posted by Jason Unger  on  04/07  at  11:24 AM

Gotta use GOOG-411—free directory assistance.

Posted by AJ  on  04/07  at  11:37 AM

Heck no. I haven’t used a phonebook in years.

Posted by Don  on  04/07  at  12:36 PM

I definitely use it, especially yellowbook, at least they have taken a fresh new look and the content is complete. They are years ahead of the competiton. Try downloading the yellowbook widget if you prefer not using the print!

Posted by Chuck McKenney  on  04/07  at  12:38 PM

What are the chances Don works for yellowbook?

Posted by Chrissy  on  04/07  at  12:51 PM

I think yellow pages usage depends on your habits.  For example, I use yellowbook.com at work and never pick up my directory.  At home, however, I do use my yellow book.

Posted by Don  on  04/07  at  12:57 PM

Chrissy very true!

Posted by Alan  on  04/07  at  01:06 PM

I use the phone book several times a month and many times it’s to look up businesses I always use but it is also good to see who else is out there. I also like that if I’m looking to see what new restaurants have come into our area in the past year I can find them, plus similar to what Chuck said, I dashed for my phone book when my sump pump stopped working and I needed it fixed ASAP. I personally prefer the Yellowbook directory becuase it covers a bigger area than the others so it gives me more choices for what I’ looking for.

Posted by Chuck McKenney  on  04/07  at  01:09 PM

Chrissy and Don - make sure your marketing department gives you a bonus. We know you work at yellowbook.

Posted by Deni  on  04/07  at  01:43 PM

I still use the yellowbook, especially for local businesses.  Most local stores don’t have websites or any presence online.  When I go to Google I get a half million results for whatever I’m looking for.  And who wants to spend 20 minutes scrolling through all the pages to find a local shop?  I can find whatever I am looking for within 30 seconds in yellowbook.

Posted by Arlen Schweiger  on  04/07  at  03:18 PM

too bad with the internet we’d never get “The new phonebook’s here! The new phonebook’s here!”—Navin Johnson, “The Jerk”

Posted by SHobbs  on  04/07  at  03:30 PM

The best way to reduce or eliminate delivery of unwanted Yellow Pages is to go to http://www.yellowpagesoptout.com.  Unlike other sites, this one is supported by the YP publishers.
FYI, in 2008 US Consumers referenced the YP over 13 billion times, to shop, not to browse.  And it remains a great way for small businesses to reach new customers, critical in these difficult economic times.  Full disclosure (and to help Chuck out), I work for the Yellow Pages Association, http://www.ypaswsociation.org.

Posted by Larry  on  04/07  at  05:17 PM

I just heard this today… haven’t even had a chance to check it out :-)

New Google service

Just leave it to Google to come up with something like this! Here’s a number worth putting in your cell phone, or your home phone speed dial: 1-800-goog-411.  This is an awesome service from Google ... and it’s free—great when you are on the road.

Don’t waste your money on information calls and don’t waste your time manually dialing the number… Here’s an example of how it works.  I am driving along in my car and I need to call the golf course and I don’t know the number.  I hit the speed dial for information that I have programmed ... 1-800-goog-411.

The voice at the other end says, ‘City & State.’  I say,  Venice , Florida ,’  He says, ‘Business, Name or Type of Service.’  I say, Firewheel Golf Course.’  He says, ‘Connecting’ and Firewheel Golf Course answers the phone.  How great is that?  This is nationwide and it is absolutely free!

Click on the link below and watch the short clip for a quick demonstration.www.google.com/goog411

Posted by Elvis  on  04/08  at  06:53 AM

Who cares, go back to work Chuck, your selfish promoting of your own site and needs dosen’t matter.

I beleive Librars are still open with books???

Books, Internet, Cell Phones

Why not worry about the unemployment rate!

Posted by tim  on  04/08  at  07:57 AM

Yeah, I’m in front of my computer a lot, but it is darn near impossible to compare what several vendors ads say about themselves by clicking to one website then back, then to another.

I don’t think some people realize the benefit of how easy it is to have a printed book open looking at ads from 6 different roofers at one time trying to decide which one to call.

Save the internet for researching brands and maybe checking some reviews, but it stinks for comparing an organized collection of vendors ads, which is where the print book shines.

Posted by ryan  on  05/09  at  01:02 AM

I won’t argue that some areas work better than others when it comes to the paper books.

Here’s a suggestion.  Never put an ad in the Yellow Pages or Yellow Book unless you put a tracking phone number. They will create a forwarding number in the ad for you that will track the number of calls you get through the ad.  We put a tracking phone number in our ad and in 1 year received less than 5 calls. Obviously it wasn’t worth the $100 or more a month.  Most of the calls wanted us to set up a home-theater-in-a-box they bought at Best Buy.

My advise is build your business on referrals and spend your money there.  When past clients refer you, you’ve already closed the deal 90% of the time.