Comments

Displays
Are Plasma TVs Still Alive?
February 24, 2010 | by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
LG and Panasonic are trying to revive plasma displays.
Posted by koberlin1  on  02/24  at  07:17 PM

I sure hope plasma displays technology does not die out. Is it me or do all these new LCD/LED displays look like cheap plasma (even CRT) imitations…except they cost more…sometimes much more??  And enough with the 600 MHZ technology already!  People are jumping on the bandwagon left and right regardless of how motion technology is ruining film.  Pirates of the Caribbean looking like HD video…great!

I for one will continue to invest in plasma technology and am very happy to see Panasonic developing slimmer and more energy efficient plasma lines.  Let’s hope for the sake of quality that these newer LCD/LED and motion technologies don’t take TV in the same direction MP3 technology has taken music.

Posted by Scion Racer  on  02/25  at  09:39 AM

I, for one, would like to see the end of articles like this. Plasma display technology is much more than “still alive.” Plasma misconceptions and falsities are finally being defeated, and consumers are starting to understand the benefits a plasma provides over LCD.

One trend I’ve noticed is that gamers especially are exclusively buying PDPs, as many of the higher end LCDs have input latency issues, some of which cannot be defeated with ‘Game Mode’ or any other action.

Finally, assuming 3D display tech takes off, plasma is much better suited for this type of imaging than LCD. Color purity, contrast, and resolution all suffer during motion on AM-LCDs, and these effects are exacerbated with 3D imaging.

Posted by Ric B  on  02/26  at  02:19 PM

Amen koberlin1!

Posted by koberlin1  on  02/26  at  04:27 PM

I know!  You go into the big box stores and people are just in awe of these super-bright-oversaturated-overpriced-gazillion-MHZ-motion-technology-spaceship-looking-2-year-disposable LCD/LED’s playing back some blockbuster film.  But hey you get a free $130 blu ray player, HDMI cable and 10 year financing with the purchase of any TV over $999 so why not!

Posted by Joe  on  02/26  at  09:15 PM

“many consumers think plasma displays also are dead, or on their way out”

This only applies to people who don’t own a plasma or actually believe the ridiculous myths that are still making the rounds a decade after plasma technology became mainstream and affordable.

Posted by Stephen Hopkins  on  02/26  at  10:42 PM

I agree 100%, but there’s a LARGE segment of shoppers that still fall into that category.  It’s going to take this kind of continued effort and product education on the part of manufacturers and the industry at large to overcome it.

Posted by FarmerBob  on  02/28  at  08:41 PM

People see DLP the same way. Samsung has a whole new line coming out and Mitsubishi has Lamp and Laser versions available now.

Posted by revko1  on  03/03  at  11:43 AM

Most of my friends that aren’t in the know call every flat screen plasma..Most people don’t know the difference between the two..Until the step in a big box store were they become easily confuse, and push toward what’s being sold that day!

Revko1

Posted by Patch  on  03/12  at  04:21 PM

@koberlin1, couldn’t agree more!  It’s unfortunate how so many people are gullibly willing to put down more of their hard-earned cash for an LCD when an equivalent plasma set provides better features and costs much less.

Personally I’m sticking to Panasonic and plasma technology, as long as they’re willing to fix their quality issues on pre-2010 sets.

Posted by koberlin1  on  03/12  at  09:11 PM

amen again!

Posted by Jim Grigsby  on  03/16  at  10:16 PM

Mr. Hopkins - CED - really??? Yeah, I sold them at Radio Shack around 1980 (RCA version of video disk-ugh!) Plasma has some excellent attributes but also some negative ones as well (doesn’t EVERY format?) Panels are great for smaller areas and if I MUST hang it on the wall - note the word MUST. The DLP projo sets seem to be a much better overall value and excellent picture all around (yes plasma does have better blacks - but also shiny faces that glare light and also love to eat power). I love big picture size for that theater feeling while watching BluRays and HD. It is not a necessity for me to hang it on the wall so no big deal either…

Posted by AZ-J  on  04/09  at  11:01 PM

I have a 60” Pioneer Elite 1080p plasma in the HT setup and a 42” LCD in the bedroom.

My wife and I both watch the Pioneer more.

Hail to Pioneer plasma.

Posted by Paul McDonald  on  05/04  at  11:21 PM

After watching the LED, 3 D, Samsung HDTV and then watching the same 3 D material on the Panasonic 3D plasma model, I note that the Panasonic 3D plasma offers more of a 3 D experience. This is caused by the plasma having a 600 hertz refresh rate compared to a 240 hertz refresh rate. Whatever the cause plasma outperformed LED models in the 3 D demonstration. See for yourself!

Posted by Paul McDonald  on  05/04  at  11:26 PM

After watching the LED, 3 D, Samsung HDTV and then watching the same 3 D material on a Panasonic 3D plasma model, I note that the Panasonic 3D plasma offers more of a 3 D experience. This is caused by the plasma having a 600 hertz refresh rate compared to a Samsung’s LED 240 hertz refresh rate. Whatever the cause plasma outperformed LED models in the 3 D demonstration. See for yourself! As 3D grows so will plasma sales trend upward.