Comments

Blu-ray
Analyst: Blu-ray Barks at Satellites over 1080p
bluray assoc
August 27, 2008 | by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
According to Strategy Analytics, the Blu-ray Disc Association isn’t thrilled with Dish Network and DirecTV’s invoking Blu-ray’s name when talking about 1080p VOD.
Posted by noname  on  08/28  at  06:51 AM

The comment towards the end is going to drive even more confusion…  1080p vs 1080i is not even worth talking about in the context of video quality. Where the de-interlacing occurs is completely irelevant and in the vast majority of cases will have zero effect on quality (unless you have an extraordinary de-interlacer in your display, or external video processor).

Posted by chirpie  on  08/28  at  09:12 AM

Where’d he see interlaced movies on blu-ray? Am I misunderstanding him? (I thought the only interlaced ones were 30 or 60 fps)

Posted by Arlen Schweiger  on  08/28  at  09:44 AM

sorry for any confusion—i was trying to reiterate what Mercer was saying about the satellites not really competing with Blu-ray, but rather competing with cable companies and FiOS. I generally find high-def optical discs superior in audio and video to what’s broadcast in HD, but since my TV is only 1280 x 1080 I’m not watching discs in true full HD 1080p. therefore, I’m guessing on a 1080p TV I’d still give a big edge to Blu-ray over what Dish and DirecTV will be offering with their VOD.  hope that makes more sense.

Posted by Michael Bauers  on  08/28  at  11:25 AM

So what’s the problem?  Compression?

Blu-ray can do up to 54 Mb/s for AV.

Cable can do 6 Mb/s (or so I recall)

Sat?  No clue.  But it’s likely less than 54 Mb/s

Posted by T.N.  on  08/28  at  12:07 PM

Those advertisement grate on me as well… 1080p resolution alone does not ‘Blu-Ray quality’ make.

Posted by RobRuffo  on  08/28  at  11:52 PM

1080i properly de-interlaced on a good HDTV=1080i, EXACTLY.  THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE.

A progressive Tv cannot display an interlaced image, it always turns it into a progressive series of full images.

That said, some TVs do a poor job of deinterlacing 1080i material, particularly 24fps material, so there 1080p woudl have an advantage. 1080p24, running at a true 24fps rate, is also superior in all cases, but I doubt they will be offering this, and not that many Tvs are capable of displaying it anyway,

Posted by yu_blu  on  08/29  at  11:53 AM

I guess Satellie cannot offer DTS-HD nor Dolby True HD anyways…......

Posted by PASmo  on  08/29  at  03:11 PM

Arlen…corrrect me if Im wrong, but….you said 1280x 1080? So isnt that…uh…1080??? If thats not High Def then what the heck is? Anything above that ratio is moot unless your watching on a screen bigger than 80” anyway….when sitting the proper distance…..with the lights on….did I miss anything? I would agree with the sound on sat versus direct, sat cant handle the truth…...sorry…had to say it.

Posted by Justin  on  08/29  at  05:33 PM

1920 x 1080 is HD. This will give you, by doing the math 1.777 repeating or 1.78:1 aspect ratio(HD). So yes, you are wrong.

Posted by Scott  on  08/29  at  05:49 PM

Actually 1280 x 1080 is HD, but not true HD (1080i). 1920 x 1080 is TrueHD (1080p). Hope this helps to clarify.

Posted by Soundzilla  on  08/30  at  08:32 AM

RobBoffo, your statement is false and you are contributing to the confusion consumers are facing about Hi-Def standards.

De-interlacing a Blu-ray 1080p image, is not a lossless process. 1080p to 1080p is a direct pixel for pixel playback. Period.

Blu-ray is absolutely right to take this on and call these companies to account for misleading consumers. 1280 x 1080 is most definitely NOT the same as Blu-ray 1080p (1920 x 1080).

There are still bitter leftovers from the HD-DVD camp who want Blu-ray to fail and they are being joined by major satellite providers by a campaign of misinformation about the value of Blu-ray. Telling people they don’t need Blu-ray because they can stream the same quality over the Internet, or simply call it up on their satellite system is false, and the Blu-ray camp should continue to fight for accuracy. They have the best HD quality available, plain and simple..

Posted by Walker  on  08/31  at  11:50 AM

This whole rant by Blu Ray is more about their failures, than the “numerical” line advantage they have. As a Blu Ray owner and Directv subscriber, I find this amusing. Even after Toshiba left the HD war, Blu Ray is “dead in the water”. Blu Ray isn’t growing at the projected rates and they have no marketing skills. Even lowering the price of Blu Ray units isn’t helping. So now the mensa types at Blu Ray want to feud with major sat companies instead of investing that time and resource into growing their format. I have a feeling that Sony will drag down yet another format and Blu Ray will fade away.

Posted by wedner  on  08/31  at  02:07 PM

this whole thing is about how the people from the blue ray campaign is enable to attract more comsumers so they pikced on dish and direct tv. I am a subscriber to dish and I am really please with what it offers when it comes to 1080p video.

Posted by soundzilla  on  08/31  at  03:42 PM

Maybe you missed the news flash “Blu-ray sales up 300%

What “Failures” of Blu-ray are you talking about? And what’s this reference to MENSA supposed to mean? Blu-ray enthusiasts are smarter than others? Maybe they are. You may be on to something.

Nobody expected an adoption rate close to that of DVD with either HD format. Things are going very well for the format. If things weren’t going well, satellite providers wouldn’t compare themselves to Blu-ray as the reference standard to beat (which it is).

What you are proposing is mediocrity. As log as it’s “good enough”, we don’t need anything more. I couldn’t disagree more. We didn’t spend 50 years and billions of dollars to accept something that’s just close enough. Engineers and standards bodies chose 1920x1080p as the high end for a reason. If 1080i were identical to 1080p why didn’t they just store the movies on HD-DVD or Blu-ray in 1080i? Think about it.

Maybe the creators of the CD format should’ve stopped at 16-bit 22KHz. most people wouldn’t have cared would they? It would sound as good as FM radio which is good enough, right? Give me a break.

The real bottom line here is that 1280x1080 is not the same nor is it as good of a picture as 1920x1080 and it never will be. You can live in your upscaled-DVD, interlace-loving, “1280 is fine”  world but don’t spoil it for everyone else who’s tring to help promote the best HD possible.

Posted by Scott?  on  09/01  at  09:02 PM

Scott, that’s an odd post.

1080i is simply using two interlaced fields to create a 1920 x 1080 frame.  I’m not sure where you get that 1280 x 1080 is “1080i”.  Also, “TrueHD” is simply marketing speak to sell 1080p native HW.  High resolution sets are already being created and shown at shows like CEDIA.  1080p is simply the highest standard in wide use today.

Regardless, the quality from fixed media (Blu-Ray, HD DVD) is vastly higher than any streaming service in place today, even if they are delivering 1920 x 1080 resolution, as the difference in compression must be enormous.

Posted by jvenkman  on  09/16  at  12:34 PM

This conversation may already be over but based off of the discussion about what qualifies as HD there seems to be confusion. 720p, 1080i and 1080p are all HD resolutions. TrueHD is an audio format that Dolby uses on Blu-ray discs.

Posted by wika  on  09/24  at  02:22 AM

BD sales up 300%.

If a store sold only 1 BD title a week, and now sells 3 a week, that is a 300% increase in sales!

FAIL!

Posted by chirpie  on  09/25  at  09:05 AM

RE: Wika

“Fail?”

What is this, the Ain’t it Coll News forums?

“Please learn marketing math and the meaninglessness of percentages in statistics…”

Going by this, why would you then trust ANY story that delt with how good or poor the state of Blu-ray sales was?

I’ll let your comment history answer that for me.

Posted by Kenneth Lawson  on  10/24  at  01:31 PM

In a perfect world, every picture would be 1080p and have true 7.1 surround sound. and the equipment would be dirt cheap and anyone could afford it.. However…

This not a/v narinia yet…

While the folks at Blue Ray may have points about Satellite HD not being true 1080p . Theres a more practical way to look at it. SO What???

You can spend all day measuring numbers and quoting reports and standards, but that doesn’t change the fact that at the end of the day. Not matter which you have 720, or anything higher then that is HD, And it looks way better then anything you’ve every seen on broadcast in the LAST 75 years.

I would love to have Hd and Dishes HD package and have most of the my channels in HD. However as the price of a HD tv is still well out of my reach, I continue to have HD dreams…LOL,
The point being,,,: When I finely do get HD I won’t really care if its True Blu-ray 1080p of just Dammed Close, It ‘ll still be a world better then what I have now.

AS for Dishes advertising about the Blu-ray 1080p   Who cares?
  There are more important thing to worry about like DRM and Net Neutrality.

Kenneth Lawson