Comments

3D: Gimmick or the Movie Industry’s Savior?
March 20, 2009 | by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
As Hollywood trues to compete with the number of people staying home to watch movies, they need a new reason to get people out and into the movie theater.
Posted by Jason Unger  on  03/20  at  01:47 PM

I’ll go on the record - I think it’s a gimmick.

Posted by Chuck McKenney  on  03/20  at  02:08 PM

The last 3D movie I saw: Jaws back in 1983. And I’m in no hurry to see another.

Posted by Derek  on  03/20  at  03:32 PM

3D will help ticket sales for a while ... until it can be reproduced on blu-ray. At which point sales will drop again as people wait to watch it comfortably at home.

The easiest way to increase box office? Make better friggin’ movies!

Posted by John  on  03/20  at  03:38 PM

I am in the same boat as you guys,
better movies and lower ticket prices = more attendance

Posted by GuyCai  on  03/20  at  04:02 PM

3D is cool and fun, but I know many kids and adults who don’t want to wear glasses through a whole movie. It’s fine for a 3 minute ride at Disney, but any longer, regardless of quality it gets to be headache inducing. We are seeking out a non-3D version of MvsA this weekend!

Posted by Craig M.  on  03/24  at  12:21 PM

No matter the technology, it comes down to pricing for us.  I can’t justify 20-30 bucks for a pair of tickets in today’s economy.  I’d rather invest money in tech at home and enjoy it without obnoxious, inconsiderate strangers and questionable sticky spots on seats and floors.

Posted by JB  on  03/24  at  03:20 PM

I couldn’t care less about 3D. I’m still playing catch-up on the surround sound formats (now Dolby IIz with height speakers). When 3D is cheap and it looks so good that I feel like I’m IN the darn movie - then I’ll give a care…

Posted by Dr. John Crayton  on  03/25  at  05:46 PM

I’m required to pay double for my auto registration next time I register and they’re complaining about $30.00 per year in increased energy costs?

We’ve needed more power plants for two decades now, but are just awaiting for another Eron to spring up so the governator can sign energy contracts with them.

Posted by Nick  on  03/30  at  08:55 AM

You forgot the Hannah Montana movie in 3d which was the highest hit so far I believe? Disney had to ‘extend’ it for another week but I think that was all part of the marketing plot.

Posted by Bob  on  04/01  at  12:25 PM

With different HDTV technologies maturing and new ones being developed,  prices of larger tv’s and even projectors are starting to find a place in many homes.  It is not uncommon to see 50 inch flat panel’s hung on walls, and dedicated home theater rooms.

These are all factors that have caused people like myself to not head to a theater.  Why spend $50 for a family of 3 to watch a move and grab some popcorn when I can do it on a 120” screen in my basement?  I didn’t spend that money just to hit the theaters.

Whether you feel 3D is legit or a gimmick, It is here to stay and will definitely revitalize the movie industry.

I now have a reason to head to the theater and it will actual be special again!