June 18, 2008 by Rachel Cericola
And the winner is… “Blade Runner?”
While it may seem weird that the 1982 sci-fi flick is getting an award now, it actually took home the top prize at this year’s DVD Critic Awards. Warner’s 2007 re-release won best director’s cut and best overall home video for 2007.
“Blade Runner: The Final Cut” got the director’s award, while “Blade Runner: Ultimate Collector’s Edition” took the show prize. The 5-disc set includes various versions of the movie, a 3-hour documentary, art cards and other extras packed into a briefcase replica from the movie.
Home entertainment critics and journalists judged a total of 140 entries in a variety of categories. All 2007 releases were eligible for submission.
Other winners from the show include:
- Best Theatrical DVD: “Transformers,” DreamWorks and Paramount Home Entertainment
- Best TV DVD: “Seinfeld: The Complete Series,” Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
- Best Classic/Catalog DVD: “The Sergio Leone Anthology,” MGM and 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment
- Best DVD Collection/Multidisc Set: Harry Potter: Years 1-5 Gift Set, Warner Home Video
- Best Nonfiction/Documentary DVD: “Planet Earth,” BBC Video and Warner Home Video
- Best Animation DVD: “Ratatouille,” Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment
- Best Kidvid DVD: “Surf’s Up,” Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
- Best Direct-to-Video Movie DVD: “The Invincible Iron Man,” Lionsgate
- Best Non-Theatrical Movie DVD: “Jerome Bixby’s The Man From Earth,” Anchor Bay Entertainment
- Best Extended Cut/Director’s Cut: “Blade Runner: The Final Cut,” Warner Home Video
- Best DVD Bonus Materials: “The Bourne Files,” Universal Studios Home Entertainment
- Best DVD Packaging: “The King of Queens: The Complete Series,” Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
- Best Blu-ray Catalog Title: “Close Encounters of the Third Kind,” Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
- Best Blu-ray Theatrical Title: “Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End,” Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment
- Judges’ Special Citation: “My So-Called Life: The Complete Series,” Shout! Factory
The DVD Critics Awards dinner was part of the TransFORMATions: The 7th Annual Home Entertainment Summit, held June 16-17 at the Hyatt Regency Century Plaza Hotel in Century City, Calif. TransFORMATions was presented by Home Media Magazine in cooperation with DEG: The Digital Entertainment Group and the Entertainment Merchants Association.
Follow Electronic House
Over the past 15 years, Rachel Cericola has covered entertainment, web and technology trends. Check her out at www.rachelcericola.com.
Commenting is not available in this weblog entry.