July 20, 2011 by Rachel Cericola
A lot of people are still steaming over last week’s announcement that Netflix would soon be changing its plans, as well as its pricing.
We’ve seen a ton of unhappy customers over the past few days. Some say they plan to cancel accounts, drop services, or just go elsewhere for that movie fix. Before you think about jumping the S.S. Netflix, know what the plan change will mean to your monthly bill.
As of September 1, 2011, all of the current Netflix plans will change. The plans that previously offered unlimited streaming and either one DVD or two DVDs out at a time will be no more. The idea is to branch the plans out. If you want to stream content and still get a physical disc, you’re going to have to pay extra. Below is a breakdown of the new Netflix plans. All prices listed are per month. Just remember to add $2 if you want to add Blu-ray into the equation (thanks Sean!)...
- 1 DVD out at-a-time (limit 2 rentals a month, limited streaming on PC or Mac only): $4.99 per month
- Starz Play Only (no DVDs): $6.99
- Unlimited Streaming (no DVDs): $7.99
- 1 DVD out at-a-time (no streaming): $7.99
- 2 DVDs out at-a-time (no streaming): $11.99
- Unlimited Streaming + 1 DVD out at-a-time: $15.98
- Unlimited Streaming + 2 DVDs out at-a-time: $19.98
- Unlimited Streaming + 3 DVDs out at-a-time: $23.98
- Unlimited Streaming + 4 DVDs out at-a-time: $29.98
- Unlimited Streaming + 5 DVDs out at-a-time: $35.98
- Unlimited Streaming + 6 DVDs out at-a-time: $40.98
- Unlimited Streaming + 7 DVDs out at-a-time: $45.98
- Unlimited Streaming + 8 DVDs out at-a-time: $51.98
If you aren’t sure whether you want to continue with Netflix or at least your current program, there are alternatives. View the slideshow to look at nine other options.
Follow Electronic House
Over the past 15 years, Rachel Cericola has covered entertainment, web and technology trends. Check her out at www.rachelcericola.com.
FREE Charter Platinum Membership
Claim your FREE Charter Platinum Membership to EH Network and receive 6 FREE issues of EH Magazine.*
We understand your email address is private. By granting you access to the EH Network, you agree to receive email communications from us, including our newsletters. You can manage your subscription at any time in the future.
* The new EH Network launches and your free subscription begins December 2014.
Commenting is not available in this weblog entry.